jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently introduced a new clownfish to my tank. My old clown is a little bigger (but not by much) so I am assuming it is a female. It’s been in my tank alone for about 3 weeks after killing my 6-line wrasse. I gave her a new clown today (same kind of clown) and now she is pecking at it. Is this normal or should I put a breeder box of sort and trap her in it?

Also I noticed my old clown has black markings on it. This has slowly come to my attention but I’m not sure if it’s been there or if it’s sick.

Please advise IMG_6450.png IMG_6449.png

Attachments

• IMG_6448.mov
    70.7 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are known to be aggressive, so the pecking is most likely normal behavior - the black spots look odd to me though. Maybe one of the #fishmedic can confirm if there's an issue there.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s normal for clowns to be aggressive, especially to newcomers. Hopefully they will figure things out, you can try separating the aggressor for a bit if it worsens.
The black spots look like hypermelaninization from anemone/coral stings - do you have any stinging corals or nems?

OP
OP
J

jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s normal for clowns to be aggressive, especially to newcomers. Hopefully they will figure things out, you can try separating the aggressor for a bit if it worsens.
The black spots look like hypermelaninization from anemone/coral stings - do you have any stinging corals or nems?
I just separated them, the more aggressive clown is in a breeder box to separate them. I think I might try and keep her in there for a day and really observe their behavior.

I have a lot of Zoas, mushrooms and leathers in my tank. Could that cause hypermelaninization?

OP
OP
J

jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are known to be aggressive, so the pecking is most likely normal behavior - the black spots look odd to me though. Maybe one of the #fishmedic can confirm if there's an issue there.
I just separated them via breeder box, how long would you recommend me keeping them apart for? I know it’s a new introduction, so for all I know they could only be doing this for a little then it could stop. Would you recommend me letting them go at it and and observe them?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just separated them, the more aggressive clown is in a breeder box to separate them. I think I might try and keep her in there for a day and really observe their behavior.

I have a lot of Zoas, mushrooms and leathers in my tank. Could that cause hypermelaninization?
The usual culprits are hammers, torches, nems, and Duncans. I think some mushrooms can too though.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just separated them via breeder box, how long would you recommend me keeping them apart for? I know it’s a new introduction, so for all I know they could only be doing this for a little then it could stop. Would you recommend me letting them go at it and and observe them?
Personally, I'd probably keep the one in the breeder box for a few days to try and let them get used to each other without aggression/being able to hurt each other.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minor squabbling may just be their way to set up their "pecking order" but if it leads to mouth damage, missing scales or torn fins, separate the aggressor again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back