Anemone split. Do I get another clown fish?

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone just split today and was wondering if I should get another maroon clown fish to host the other anemone or will it get harassed or possibly killed by the other maroon fish I currently have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My anemone just split today and was wondering if I should get another maroon clown fish to host the other anemone or will it get harassed or possibly killed by the other maroon fish I currently have.
if you do, allow the new split to heal and they dont have to host another fish. The existing clown will go to both. I had an outbreak at nems at one time and with 11 clowns, few went near the nems

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lightning maroon is EXTREMELY territorial. As in has chased out all but a yellow tang, hovans wrasse, and oscilaris clown. The only place in the tank she hasn't claimed is the corner behind the power head where the small oscilaris clown has lived since the tank started 3 years ago, and that's only because the maroon is too big to fit. She beats up on the oscilaris every chance she gets, and attacks me when I frag her utter chaos bed.

She's 3-4" long.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have more than 2 clowns in a tank unless it is very large. If you get a 2nd clown, make sure it’s smaller than the one you have.

OP
OP
H

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 72 gallon bowfront. If the 2nd clown is smaller won't it be easier for it to get picked on or even killed.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s usually not worth the risk. But if you do want to put the life of he fish on the line, definitely get one smaller. It will be subordinate anyway, so the size will help the other clownfish know that the new one isn’t a threat. That’s best case scenario.
worst case scenario, it kills the new one.
mine are mean, bite me if I put my hand in the tank. Bully other fish etc.

corey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back