How do you encourage anemone splitting?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
553
Reaction score
503
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say is the best method to encourage a anemone to split? I have a few rose bubble tips that have gotten decent size over the last year and am currently waiting for them to split. Are there any tips or tricks you guys would recommend to help the process along? I've heard excess feeding or increasing water changes could help. I target feed them a couple times per week, and do a 20% wc every other week.
 
The best thing I can think of to encourage them to split is to put a bunch of nice acro frags nearby, thereby encouraging your anemones to split and kill the acros.

More seriously, I think a combination of feeding + relatively direct flow. The flow makes them a little uncomfortable, but the feeding makes them want to stay put. Eventually the flow causes them to split while the feeding gives them the energy to do so safely.
 
The best thing I can think of to encourage them to split is to put a bunch of nice acro frags nearby, thereby encouraging your anemones to split and kill the acros.

More seriously, I think a combination of feeding + relatively direct flow. The flow makes them a little uncomfortable, but the feeding makes them want to stay put. Eventually the flow causes them to split while the feeding gives them the energy to do so safely.
Awesome advice, thank you!
 
I have found that you could cut the anemones in half, and there has been success with it, but I myself am hesitant to cut anything in half
 
Why do you want them to split? Tank crashes from RBTA getting sucked into power heads are pretty common. I had one once that turned into 7-10 fast. Never again.
 
I feel like the smaller varieties (just few inches across) are more likely to split than the larger ones. I had a single multiply into 20+ over the course of 2-3 years, which was problematic. Lately though they've slowed down and have only had maybe 1 new one appear in the last year or so. Not certain as to what caused the explosion, but suspect some kind of stressor.
 
Why do you want them to split? Tank crashes from RBTA getting sucked into power heads are pretty common. I had one once that turned into 7-10 fast. Never again.
I had 3 that turned into 50 in a 180g. I took so many to the lfs they didn't even want any more. I no longer keep them. I found they split the best when you don't want them to lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new