Clown fish attacking arc firework cloves?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my arc fireworks have grown up and into the duncan coral my mated pair host. They have gone to biting it and and harrassing it. Is this normal? Are they trying to protect the duncan from encroachment. The cloves are closed up and wont come out

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my arc fireworks have grown up and into the duncan coral my mated pair host. They have gone to biting it and and harrassing it. Is this normal? Are they trying to protect the duncan from encroachment. The cloves are closed up and wont come out
If they see the duncan as their “anemone” then I would think that is them protecting it from a perceived threat, but Ive also never heard of clowns harassing corals (unless they are trying to host them)… thats interesting. Perhaps @vetteguy53081 can confirm or explain

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive seen this more than once with clowns and they are persistent when they want a certain rock or area of the tank making them and pain in the XXXX

OP
OP
Seansea

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen this more than once with clowns and they are persistent when they want a certain rock or area of the tank making them and pain in the XXXX

They have been hosting this duncan for a year. The cloves have grown alot and are pushing up into the duncan and the clowns seem to not want them there. They bite them when they try to pop out. My only guess is they think the cloves are pushing up on what they think is their anenome. Sucks cuz these cloves are cool looking and ive grown them from small frag

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They have been hosting this duncan for a year. The cloves have grown alot and are pushing up into the duncan and the clowns seem to not want them there. They bite them when they try to pop out. My only guess is they think the cloves are pushing up on what they think is their anenome. Sucks cuz these cloves are cool looking and ive grown them from small frag
For cloves, they tear easily as you have noticed and you can cover them with a mini desktop pen and supply holder which looks like a militate to allow regrowth of cloves or propagate some in the sump

OP
OP
Seansea

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Didnt get them attacking them. Did it right before i got near tank to start filming.

Actually that is good i dea vette. Maybe ill pull some up and move to another part of tank before they all get killed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back