Clown fish breathing funny

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I don’t know what’s going on. No obvious signs of illness. No dots. No slime coat that looks fuzzy. The underside of his head looks like it’s lost color maybe.
I’m going to run to LFS and have them check my water. My other clown looks fine just my little guy seems to be having issues. Here are a couple videos.

gonna go ahead and tag
@ReefSquad
@Jay Hemdal
You tube vids for easy viewing

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yes breathing does not look too good. I’d put both clowns in QT with a bubbler and try to feed them. Lots of things can cause a fish to have labored breathing, have you changed anything recently?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing is definitely deep, labored and fast. How long have you had this fish?

It's really difficult to see in the blue light, but the little clown looks really skinny compared to the big female. She also made a rush at him at one point, do they not get along?

Jay

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do get along but sometimes she is more Feisty then others. If she is in her nem and he gets close she will chase him. No biting or lip locking or on fin nipping. I’ve seen her be submissive to him.
I just went and purchased metroplex and focus.
Do I have to qt? Or can I place him in a breeder box within the tank

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing is definitely deep, labored and fast. How long have you had this fish?

It's really difficult to see in the blue light, but the little clown looks really skinny compared to the big female. She also made a rush at him at one point, do they not get along?

Jay

they do get along but sometimes she is more Feisty then others. If she is in her nem and he gets close she will chase him. No biting or lip locking or on fin nipping. I’ve seen her be submissive to him.
I just went and purchased metroplex and focus.
Do I have to qt? Or can I place him in a breeder box within the tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put it in a box and try to get more food to it, but you won’t be able to medicate the water that way.
Jay

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put it in a box and try to get more food to it, but you won’t be able to medicate the water that way.
Jay
I have work at 3 am.. I am hoping he will be ok till I get home. I will try and feed in the morning. But tomorrow when I get off (I’ll be home by 830am. ) I’ll set up my qt/ ht. I have a 10 gallon for this purpose. Do I need a filter of some sort like one for a freshwater tank? Or should I just buy an air pump and stone? I have an extra wave maker I can throw in there and a heater. I would assume running carbon would remove the metroplex? Should I also provide a hiding spot?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have work at 3 am.. I am hoping he will be ok till I get home. I will try and feed in the morning. But tomorrow when I get off (I’ll be home by 830am. ) I’ll set up my qt/ ht. I have a 10 gallon for this purpose. Do I need a filter of some sort like one for a freshwater tank? Or should I just buy an air pump and stone? I have an extra wave maker I can throw in there and a heater. I would assume running carbon would remove the metroplex? Should I also provide a hiding spot?
The main issue in your QT is going to keep the ammonia level in check...If you have some live rock/sand you can move over that would be best, otherwise you’ll need some bacteria in a bottle. You really should have a filter of some sort, like a little hang on the back.
The other option would be to use the metroplex and focus to feed it in a hanging net....easier for sure, but you lose the ability to dose the water.
Jay

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and put a HOB filter in there along with some live rock/PVC and some bacteria in a bottle to cycle it quickly, also the ‘dirty tank water’ method. Do not reuse live rock that has been in a medicated QT, it will absorb the meds and leach them back into the water. I think it’ll be okay, you caught it early whatever it is

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue in your QT is going to keep the ammonia level in check...If you have some live rock/sand you can move over that would be best, otherwise you’ll need some bacteria in a bottle. You really should have a filter of some sort, like a little hang on the back.
The other option would be to use the metroplex and focus to feed it in a hanging net....easier for sure, but you lose the ability to dose the water.
Jay
I guess the key will be if I can get him to eat. If he eats tomorrow I’ll maybe not set up the qt. I do have two rocks I can remove from my little refugium to help the qt if he doesn’t eat. What type of filter in the hob?

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and put a HOB filter in there along with some live rock/PVC and some bacteria in a bottle to cycle it quickly, also the ‘dirty tank water’ method. Do not reuse live rock that has been in a medicated QT, it will absorb the meds and leach them back into the water. I think it’ll be okay, you caught it early whatever it is
I did pick up water today. But won’t be able to mix till tomorrow. If he eats tomorrow I’ll leave him in dt if he doesn’t eat I’ll move him to a qt

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he wasn’t interested in food this morning :( so I set up my qt and got him in there. Dosed the water. Placed my ammonia alert badge in it (it’s a new one) I have the air stone and air pump from my skimmer running in it as well. HOB with just a filter pad (one out of my tank) and I am now crossing my fingers. I will try and feed again tomorrow.

@Jay Hemdal how long should I treat? I saw metroplex says 1 scoop for 10 gallons ever two days for up to 3 weeks? Can I also feed medicated food?
Should I try adding garlic to the food as well to see if that Entices him to eat?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he wasn’t interested in food this morning :( so I set up my qt and got him in there. Dosed the water. Placed my ammonia alert badge in it (it’s a new one) I have the air stone and air pump from my skimmer running in it as well. HOB with just a filter pad (one out of my tank) and I am now crossing my fingers. I will try and feed again tomorrow.

@Jay Hemdal how long should I treat? I saw metroplex says 1 scoop for 10 gallons ever two days for up to 3 weeks? Can I also feed medicated food?
Should I try adding garlic to the food as well to see if that Entices him to eat?
Id say do the garlic thing, go ahead and treat the water with metro, and make sure you keep up on your water changes. Watch for the stringy white poop as well as changes in the fish externally. Place some PVC in the tank so it gives the fish some cover, plastic aquarium decor is also fine because clowns like things they are able to host. Be careful not to feed too much since the tank is delicate from being so new and overtreding may cause a bacterial bloom or worse due to the added nutrients

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back