Clown fish eggs

Poli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so my clowns laid eggs, I had to remove them from the clowns because of my wonderful emerald crab having a Buffet. In your opinion, do these eggs look fertilized or is it that they are just very early on? Last question, can I use powdered rotifers. Or must they be alive?Thank

IMG_8177.jpeg IMG_8178.jpeg

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so my clowns laid eggs, I had to remove them from the clowns because of my wonderful emerald crab having a Buffet. In your opinion, do these eggs look fertilized or is it that they are just very early on? Last question, can I use powdered rotifers. Or must they be alive?Thank

IMG_8177.jpeg IMG_8178.jpeg
@Reef By Steele can you please help Thanks

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the use of a egg tumbler or the clownfish actively keeping them aerated and clean, the chances of getting to the point of hatching are low. If they would hatch you would have to use live rotifers with a phyto mix (to feed the rotifers). After that the survivability is difficult.
As far as live rotifers I prefer @ReefLegends which I use in all my tanks.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It is not often that fry will survive in a tank. Check out my thread on clownfish babies under my personal account @HankstankXXL750 you will find what I did and what others taught me.

I have had a Bangii cardinal fish survive in a DT (but only one out of however many where hatched)

Baby clowns need a dense supply of food (generally rotifers) to bump into and eat vs having to hunt. They will starve faster than they can find food.

On the hatch nights that I have t been able to set up for, I haven’t seen any fry the following day as I’m pretty sure the tank mates made them a snack.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My clowns have spawned for the first time that I have witnessed. Saw them last night. Don’t know if I can get them out since in the rock work, but wondering if I have time to set up a hatching system. I have everything I need except rotifers. Can probably get them by Tuesday. Any thoughts. I...
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Here is the thread.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If you wish to try to rear the baby clown fish, purchasing enough rotifers would be extremely price prohibitive. You would need to start your own culture. If interested PM me and I can help you set one up.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
To answer the question if powdered rotifers, they need to be alive and swimming.

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good luck with the eggs. If you are successful, you’ll want live rotifers.

I would also leave the eggs and let the parents learn to defend them if they are fertile. Most clowns can fight off an emerald crab and other fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back