For the Clown fish experts

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of fault, percolate clown fish who I believe are a meted pair. One is larger than the other. They stay together all the time and they do the love dance and all that stuff although they haven’t laid eggs yet. I also have a pair of Picasso clown fish. One is definitely larger than the other, but they don’t show the same behaviors as the false percula, but they do seem to be fighting for attention of the female percula. Is that normal or will they eventually pair up? all that being said they all get along no fighting just seems like they’re all trying to get their position next to the big female even though there’s a what I believe is another female in the Picasso clown fish. I was hoping to have a pair of each that would start spawning in a few more months, but so goes the best laid plans

image.jpg image.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed them live food. Worms, Black or White and they should lay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be food - as already mentioned - plus there is a lot going on in your tank with other fish. I assume - since you want to breed them - you have another tank option - I would move the pair to a new tank - since they are a pair. However, unless you're watching constantly you may be missing the laying - (and the parents eating them) - and the stress may just cause them to eat them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be food - as already mentioned - plus there is a lot going on in your tank with other fish. I assume - since you want to breed them - you have another tank option - I would move the pair to a new tank - since they are a pair. However, unless you're watching constantly you may be missing the laying - (and the parents eating them) - and the stress may just cause them to eat them.
PS - its a nice tank - I didn't mean 'a lot going on' to be a critique - merely it might not be the best clownfish breeding area

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to judge size in pictures but your clowns all still look really young.
Probably going to be a while before you will have a mature female ready to spawn.

OP
OP
Pmauro55

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they’re still very young. I don’t think they’re ready to spawn, but they do all of the things that he needed. Do the little dance we are constantly together and I do have a separate tank that I can move them to turn this before so spawning clown fish is all new to me. I think my green reef chromis are pairing off also they go lip to lip and do this little dance, i’ve been trying to videotape the dance, but no luck so far

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back