Mated pair clown eggs

Poli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so my clowns laid eggs, I had to remove them from the clowns because of my wonderful emerald crab having a Buffet. In your opinion, do these eggs look fertilized or is it that they are just very early on? Last question, can I use powdered rotifers. Or must they be alive?

IMG_8178.jpeg IMG_8177.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing that I see in the pictures look like typical fertile clown eggs? What kind of clowns do you have - how big are the eggs. Clown eggs are usually many many more in number, oblong and clear - until they are close to hatching at which point they take on a silver coloration

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
IMG_4870.jpeg

They are not in great focus but this is what my clownfish eggs looked like. These are near hatching.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what’s in the pic.
Clowns eggs can be removed when the eyes go silver and must continue to be gently aireated. If parents are not separated, fry will be lunch.
Prior to this the clowns play an important role in the egg development by fanning, protecting,them and pulling the bad ones.
They cannot be detached from the substrate.
Powered anything cannot be introduced until metamorphosis.
They last about 12-18 hours without a new live source of enriched rotifers constantly in the waters.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what’s in the pic.
Clowns eggs can be removed when the eyes go silver and must continue to be gently aireated. If parents are not separated, fry will be lunch.
Prior to this the clowns play an important role in the egg development by fanning, protecting,them and pulling the bad ones.
They cannot be detached from the substrate.
Powered anything cannot be introduced until metamorphosis.
They last about 12-18 hours without a new live source of enriched rotifers constantly in the waters.
You can also predict the hatching date - and on that day - shine a light - a siphon off the fry into another tank. I had multiple batches that hatched that I could remove - but none grew to 'fish' size... But the eggs usually number in the hundreds - as compared to the picture in the OP - which (to me) - again depending on the perspective is something else?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shoot could it be the anemone??????
Can you give some perspective (size wise) of what we're looking at? Did you have an anemone in the tank? Is the anemone 'gone'? To me - assuming I'm picturing the correct sizes - it could be a small anemone.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also predict the hatching date - and on that day - shine a light - a siphon off the fry into another tank. I had multiple batches that hatched that I could remove - but none grew to 'fish' size... But the eggs usually number in the hundreds - as compared to the picture in the OP - which (to me) - again depending on the perspective is something else?
Agreed very predictable.
I gave up syphon out as the death rate was almost 100%.
I keep parents in a QT like tank, and simply separate with egg crate into two halves. On expected hatch night, I shine a pinpoint light on the side opposite to the hatch. When they hatch, the fry run through the egg rate towards the light. Parents are stopped by the egg crate.
Then parents are put into a second tank.
Fry stay in the first tank and rotifers dripped constantly.
About 10 days we wean to powered flakes.
Death rate dropped to 50%.

This method works great for shrimps as well, but are very slow to mature, about 180 days to 1/2”

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back