Help Identifying these eggs.

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems I have a busy week in the tank this week. Had 3 anemones split, 1 of those split into 3, that's a first for me. but anyway, back to the point. About 4-5 days ago I found these eggs behind one of my Gyres, but I am not entirely sure what could have laid them. The only "culprits" that constantly stay in that area are my carpenter & cleaner wrasse.. which doesn't make much sense to me if they did the thang thang... I also have a pair of purple dottybacks that stay on that wall, but down near the bottom, this pump is up high, so I'm not entirely convinced, but I could be wrong. My Anthias school stays in that area as well, but if I'm not mistaken, they give birth right into the water column (unless I am wrong). My white cheek and hybrid Achilles were doing a weird "dance" all last week, swimming in circles, but from my research, they disperse eggs right into the water column. I did notice what seemed like my pair of mandarins getting it on a week or so ago, and I also have a pair of red scooter dragonets. Honestly, so much stuff happens in the tank that I'm not entirely sure what they could be from. At first, I thought they could be clownfish eggs since I have 2 gold lightning maroon's, but they are not a pair, and I feel like they would have hatched already if they were. One maroon stays on one side of the tank and the other in the complete opposite corner. They've met in the middle sometimes, but just to fight. Do clowns lay eggs just to lay them even if they don't have a partner? If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Here's the picture. I can probably pull out the DSLR and take a much better picture if needed.

This picture I just took.
IMG_2087.jpg

This picture is from 2 days ago.
IMG_2078 2.jpg

Then yesterday, I found 3 more sets of eggs but my guess is that these are damsel eggs since they are aggressively protecting them. The third batch is in an extremely hard-to-get spot. I have rocks forming a circle to cover a closed loop pipe sticking out of the bottom and she laid them in that space which only gives you about an inch of room between the pipe and the rock. I did notice what seems to be the mail (he has black stripes on him) fertilizing the eggs. He basically swam upside down with his belly against the eggs and did a "shaking" maneuver for about 10 minutes. At least my guess is that he was fertilizing them.
IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!!!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
M

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "eggs" in the pics above on the equipment are a type of hydroids; I also see a couple of pineapple sponges on the bottom. I'm not sure what the stuff on the cord is.

These ones probably are the damsels' egg - cool to have!
stuff on the cord is just some algae growing. can you explain a bit more on these hydroids? I just Googled Reef Hydroids but it honestly doesn't look like that to me, maybe I'm just blind. sounds like i need to remove it either way.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you explain a bit more on these hydroids? I just Googled Reef Hydroids but it honestly doesn't look like that to me, maybe I'm just blind.
There are a ton of different kinds of hydroids; you have colonial hydroids of some variety - if you can get a clearer pic, I might be able to ID them, but yeah, you'll likely want to remove them.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems I have a busy week in the tank this week. Had 3 anemones split, 1 of those split into 3, that's a first for me. but anyway, back to the point. About 4-5 days ago I found these eggs behind one of my Gyres, but I am not entirely sure what could have laid them. The only "culprits" that constantly stay in that area are my carpenter & cleaner wrasse.. which doesn't make much sense to me if they did the thang thang... I also have a pair of purple dottybacks that stay on that wall, but down near the bottom, this pump is up high, so I'm not entirely convinced, but I could be wrong. My Anthias school stays in that area as well, but if I'm not mistaken, they give birth right into the water column (unless I am wrong). My white cheek and hybrid Achilles were doing a weird "dance" all last week, swimming in circles, but from my research, they disperse eggs right into the water column. I did notice what seemed like my pair of mandarins getting it on a week or so ago, and I also have a pair of red scooter dragonets. Honestly, so much stuff happens in the tank that I'm not entirely sure what they could be from. At first, I thought they could be clownfish eggs since I have 2 gold lightning maroon's, but they are not a pair, and I feel like they would have hatched already if they were. One maroon stays on one side of the tank and the other in the complete opposite corner. They've met in the middle sometimes, but just to fight. Do clowns lay eggs just to lay them even if they don't have a partner? If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Here's the picture. I can probably pull out the DSLR and take a much better picture if needed.

This picture I just took.
IMG_2087.jpg

This picture is from 2 days ago.
IMG_2078 2.jpg

Then yesterday, I found 3 more sets of eggs but my guess is that these are damsel eggs since they are aggressively protecting them. The third batch is in an extremely hard-to-get spot. I have rocks forming a circle to cover a closed loop pipe sticking out of the bottom and she laid them in that space which only gives you about an inch of room between the pipe and the rock. I did notice what seems to be the mail (he has black stripes on him) fertilizing the eggs. He basically swam upside down with his belly against the eggs and did a "shaking" maneuver for about 10 minutes. At least my guess is that he was fertilizing them.
IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!!!
I’d ask PaulB, he had crazy mama fish laying eggs!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not mandarins as they rise to the surface and drop eggs on the way while the male fertilizes them

Watchman Gobies lay eggs in caves and tend them constantly

Clownfish lay eggs on surfaces like this. They also constantly tend the eggs

These are Damsel eggs in a goose neck barnacle. (this was 1972 or so)

Here is the Dad

Clown gobies lay eggs on SPS corals as you can see above her here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back