Clownfish Eggs?

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

I was just about to do my weekly water change and noticed what looks like eggs attached to my rock next to where my clownfish are hosting a BTA.

Are these eggs? They have never laid eggs before. If they are eggs what should I do with them?

IMG_3576.jpeg IMG_3575.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like eggs to me! You can compare against the pics and vid in the thread below to double check for yourself:
If you want to try and raise them:
Yeah, you'll need a larval rearing tank (doesn't have to be big, fancy, or expensive - you basically just need a small tank with a heater and some water movement; strong biofiltration like from used filter media is suggested - don't use a mechanical filter, protein skimmer, etc. as these will kill the larvae), a phytoplankton culture, a rotifer culture, and an Artemia culture or a small and nutritious pellet feed (like Otohime or TDO Chromaboost).

The thread below can give some ideas/help with the rearing, but it's not a "must do" guide - it's more of general advice/guidelines:
If you don't want to try and raise them, then you can just let them hatch and they'll turn into food for the tank.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup those are clownfish eggs that are a day or two away from hatching. There’s nothing to do other than let them hatch and let the fish and filtration take care of them. If you want to raise them it’s a hard process that requires multiple tanks and raising rotifera and other special foods. Most people opt for letting it be free food. Since these eggs look so good you probably missed the first couple attempts. Congrats you have healthy happy clowns.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back