Clown Fish Family tree

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone put a clown fish family tree together?
I would like to know what clownfish came from what parents. from the OG to the designers

has anyone ever done something like this? or where can i get more info I will start putting a project together

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not looking for a poster i am looking for a tree that says what designers come from what parents those posters just name all the fish but dont tell you how they are made

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Misbars and odd colors happen naturally in the wild, it's just REALLY uncommon as they are intentionally paired up to get these combinations in captivity. SA has a chart on their fish, but some breeders keep this info secret so they have the only fish that look a certain way.
225a4232d55ab27884561455b487b77c.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it would be difficult to track a specific variety of clownfish to a single pair, varieties are often developed using multiple pairs that all exhibit the same sort of physical markings the breeder is trying to distinguish. That is the best breeding practice because it builds a strong genetic pool and reduces imperfections/deformities from too much inbreeding.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it would be difficult to track a specific variety of clownfish to a single pair, varieties are often developed using multiple pairs that all exhibit the same sort of physical markings the breeder is trying to distinguish. That is the best breeding practice because it builds a strong genetic pool and reduces imperfections/deformities from too much inbreeding.

This is happening in the fancy betta breeding. Last two I've gotten lasted about six to eight months and got swim bladder disease. Epsom salt dips and feeding peas did nothing. One couldn't float, the other couldn't stop floating. The one that was always floating lasted longer than the one that sunk. I've stopped keeping bettas now in my fw tank and I have a dwarf gourami. Hopefully with all the designer clownfish becoming more and more popular, something similar doesn't happen to the species.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is happening in the fancy betta breeding. Last two I've gotten lasted about six to eight months and got swim bladder disease. Epsom salt dips and feeding peas did nothing. One couldn't float, the other couldn't stop floating. The one that was always floating lasted longer than the one that sunk. I've stopped keeping bettas now in my fw tank and I have a dwarf gourami. Hopefully with all the designer clownfish becoming more and more popular, something similar doesn't happen to the species.
The same this happening to me and my girlfriend right now. We can't keep a female betta from a typical pet store longer than three months despite giving them the best possible conditions to live in. We have decided to stop replacing bettas in our harem for now and just be happy with the 5 we have left. We have probably invested $150 or so into medications and supplements for them which has been hard to stomach for $3-$6 fish.

It really irritates me when I go to a fish store and see lightning maroons or something with deformities such as the "bulldog face" being sold for well over $100. The bad thing is that some LFS's tell folks that they will grow out of it or that it won't affect their health too much and the fish ends up going home with the person and probably doesn't get the chance to grow up all the way.

I agree with you though, hopefully the same thing doesn't happen with clownfish and all the other species being developed for aquaculture nowadays.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Permanent genetic deformities are bound to start occuring and ultimately end up damaging the genetic lines of Clowns. I really hate seeing the push for the "white" clowns. White colorations typically also translate to genetic birth defects. Who knows what these breeders are doing to these fish internally. At least with over-bred dogs, etc... we can see the defects and their effects.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back