Clown Fish - Flow

SaltyPotato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up this fluval 13.5 kit 3 weeks ago and spiked the ammonia/nitrite cycle so it’s now fish safe. I just added these little guys but they haven’t left this corner whatsoever. I turned off the flow of the pump fearing they couldn’t escape it and they didn’t move from the corner at all.

I read that clowns didn’t love a lot of flow but they seem to not want to leave the current? Should I shut the pump off or leave it? PS I only turned the lights on for this photo, I have kept them off and will continue to do so for another month or two and add some algea eating critters.

961BC4EC-292F-46DE-9D4A-EDB8E789D280.jpeg D873DEC9-4D97-45A6-A2B3-7AD3ACF739DC.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical clown behavior. Even after 4 years, mine still host the right corner of my overflow at night, even though they host in my hammer coral during the day.

If your leaving the lights off to avoid the uglies of a new tank. It won't work. As soon as you start leaving the lights on, you'll start getting algae.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns tend to host an area of the tank, looks like that is where they have chosen for now. I would not change your flow for them, they tend to figure it out after a day or two. If they start looking like they are breathing heavy and struggling then maybe its time to worry but i don't think you're even close to that yet.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very normal for clowns. I have a pair that styed by the overflow for years. They should eventually settle in and begin to explore. Could take weeks though. Never know with these guys.

OP
OP
S

SaltyPotato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical clown behavior. Even after 4 years, mine still host the right corner of my overflow at night, even though they host in my hammer coral during the day.

If your leaving the lights off to avoid the uglies of a new tank. It won't work. As soon as you start leaving the lights on, you'll start getting algae.

I thought there was bacteria that takes roughly 4 months to grow on corals/in the tank that help fight algea? I wasn’t aiming to prevent algea from ever growing just trying to build an adequate defense system so I don’t have a problem I can’t fix.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought there was bacteria that takes roughly 4 months to grow on corals/in the tank that help fight algea? I wasn’t aiming to prevent algea from ever growing just trying to build an adequate defense system so I don’t have a problem I can’t fix.

Been running reef tanks on and off for the better part of 20 years. Never heard that one before.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing microbacter7 or something similar? Really it is not a bad thought to let the tank mature but you are going to have algae or diatoms no matter what once lights are on. Dosing a bacteria product for a while can help with your cycle and the coating of the rock to a certain point but algae is going to happen, just start off right and keep your parameters under control so they dont get out of hand. I vote turn those dang lights on and enjoy your tank!

OP
OP
S

SaltyPotato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running reef tanks on and off for the better part of 20 years. Never heard that one before.
A little more research on here from real users might suggest you’re right my nitrates are at 20ppm right now. I’m going to do another 50% water change over 2 days or until I lower in the 5-10ppm range. After I achieve that, I will turn the lights on and deal with the inevitable.

OP
OP
S

SaltyPotato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing microbacter7 or something similar? Really it is not a bad thought to let the tank mature but you are going to have algae or diatoms no matter what once lights are on. Dosing a bacteria product for a while can help with your cycle and the coating of the rock to a certain point but algae is going to happen, just start off right and keep your parameters under control so they dont get out of hand. I vote turn those dang lights on and enjoy your tank!
I have dosed once with vibrant. I’m a victim of BRS lol

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are funny lol. Some will sleep in the sand, some will pretend to be dead wedged between two rocks, sometimes they lie totally still in a torch or smth and you think its dead, sometimes they will chill by the overflow lol. No worries, clowns always have a plan lol

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dose vibrant unnecessarily, dosing a product like microbactor7 or something similar adds several different beneficial bacteria to the tank. I have never used vibrant but i know its expensive and is meant for fighting algae outbreaks mainly, someone can correct me if im wrong but if you are going to dose a bacterial product look for an alternative to vibrant.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns stay pretty much exactly where I first put them in the tank. They host my return nozzle. I first thought it was flow too because all my fish love being on the right side of the thank. Doesn't seem to matter where the flow is coming from or how much flow they get. All the fish just decided to socialize on one side of the tank.

I've also put a BTA on the rock work direclty under the return nozzle and the clowns could care less. As long as they are happy I don't care.

Back