Clown Fish Fuzzy - Help with Diagnosis

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

So I have added a wrasse and chromis to my tank a week ago, and some dipped coral two weeks prior. The chromis and wrasse were quarantined/treated with copper for a week before being added with no noticeable symptoms but are still fine and healthy.

About three days ago my bicolor blenny completely vanished (can't find a body so just been hoping he is hiding) and then this morning I woke up and both my clowns look like this: thier tailfins seem frayed, and they have white spots/fuzz - any help in narrowing this down, not sure if ich/velvet, etc.

Says image is too large - here is a link

Any help is appreciated!!!

Last edited:

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hydrogen Peroxide Bath or freshwater dip to provide some relief. Setup QT tank treatment

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Help!

So I have added a wrasse and chromis to my tank a week ago, and some dipped coral two weeks prior. The chromis and wrasse were quarantined/treated with copper for a week before being added with no noticeable symptoms but are still fine and healthy.

About three days ago my bicolor blenny completely vanished (can't find a body so just been hoping he is hiding) and then this morning I woke up and both my clowns look like this: thier tailfins seem frayed, and they have white spots/fuzz - any help in narrowing this down, not sure if ich/velvet, etc.

Looks like you have two things going on here which are Brooklynella (from the heavy mucus around the facial area and bacterial lesions) and also ich which is a parasite left untreated can kill fish which may have been the case.
You will want to give the clown a 5 minute freshwater dip- Not Peroxide which will only offer the fish Temporary relief as long as its Not breathing heavily.
Other than clown , any fish remaining?
Is clown eating?
You will want to place fish in separate treatment tanks and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

That could be Brooklynella or marine ich, it is not velvet.

Can you post a video? That helps me tell those two issues apart.

One week of copper is not sufficient to control marine ich and it doesn't do anything for Brooklynella.

Jay

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your replies - I was able to dip my clowns in freshwater and move them to a 10gallon with copper. I still have 2 wrasse, a coral beauty, and goby to catch and move. I will try to take a video when i get home - they look less fuzzy from the freshwater dip. They are still eating as well.

I saw my diamon goby and his fins looked a little frayed, and my angel I think i saw a white spot but not sure I am paranoid. Not sure that helps

also had two more photos of before dip on the camera roll:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a youtube video of the fish -

everyone survived the night I have them all in a copper bath. The little clown still looks very rough. I have prazipro if that is worth adding to QT tank? Should I dip my small clown again?

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the smaller clown just passed - picture of body -- looks like his black has deteriorated and is a little translucent. My wrasse, chromis, and coral beauty look healthy. Larger clown looks better than yesterday, my diamond goby looks thin, fins slightly frayed but overall in good spirit.

Wondering if this is brook?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the smaller clown just passed - picture of body -- looks like his black has deteriorated and is a little translucent. My wrasse, chromis, and coral beauty look healthy. Larger clown looks better than yesterday, my diamond goby looks thin, fins slightly frayed but overall in good spirit.

Wondering if this is brook?

That does look like Brooklynella. FW dips can buy you some time, but copper is ineffective. The best treatment is formalin, but that is difficult to source and is toxic to humans, having it in a home is risky. Many people resort to using Ruby Reef Rally Pro. It only works if you start a treatment early on, but at least it is widely available and not as toxic as formalin to people.

Jay

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like Brooklynella. FW dips can buy you some time, but copper is ineffective. The best treatment is formalin, but that is difficult to source and is toxic to humans, having it in a home is risky. Many people resort to using Ruby Reef Rally Pro. It only works if you start a treatment early on, but at least it is widely available and not as toxic as formalin to people.

Jay
Thanks I appreciate it - I should have ruby reef rally pro delivered tomorrow morning.

Right now I have all my surviving fish in a 10 gallon quarantine.

Losses:
Clown Goby
BiColor Blenny
Clownfish

Survivors:
Clownfish (looks rough as pictured)
Adorned Wrasse (looks 100%)
Fairy Wrasse (looks 100%)
Chromis (Looks 100%)
Coral Beauty (Looks 100%)
Diamond Goby (looks thin, frayed fins)

Currently the QT is dosed with coppersafe and prazipro
If my only option is Ruby should I just add that into my QT? Some things say to dips but you can also add it straight to tank and leave it... so not sure best course of action.

I have been giving my clown freshwater dips every 24 hours.

Should I discontinue prazi and copper and just use ruby?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it ... this has been wild.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I appreciate it - I should have ruby reef rally pro delivered tomorrow morning.

Right now I have all my surviving fish in a 10 gallon quarantine.

Losses:
Clown Goby
BiColor Blenny
Clownfish

Survivors:
Clownfish (looks rough as pictured)
Adorned Wrasse (looks 100%)
Fairy Wrasse (looks 100%)
Chromis (Looks 100%)
Coral Beauty (Looks 100%)
Diamond Goby (looks thin, frayed fins)

Currently the QT is dosed with coppersafe and prazipro
If my only option is Ruby should I just add that into my QT? Some things say to dips but you can also add it straight to tank and leave it... so not sure best course of action.

I have been giving my clown freshwater dips every 24 hours.

Should I discontinue prazi and copper and just use ruby?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it ... this has been wild.

That many fish in a 10 gallon QT is risky. Can you manage the ammonia levels in there to be below 0.25 ppm?

Can you start with Ruby Reef as a higher dose dip?
Then - you can decide if you want to add it to the tank or not. I've never combined it with copper or prazipro, so I'll ask @vetteguy53081 to chime in here.

Jay

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That many fish in a 10 gallon QT is risky. Can you manage the ammonia levels in there to be below 0.25 ppm?

Then - you can decide if you want to add it to the tank or not. I've never combined it with copper or prazipro, so I'll ask @vetteguy53081 to chime in here.

Jay
I threw them in a 10 gallon because I had it one hand - can run out and buy a 20 if it may make a difference.

Sure I will dip at a higher dose - recomendation on that?

Thanks!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high dose instructions should be on the bottle. If not, Vetteguy can help us out with that.

While a 20 gallon tank would provide more space, the crux of the issue is that tanks set up "on the fly" can develop ammonia issues, and that can be as deadly as any disease.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay
Ruby reef works well as a dip and agree, I would not combine with copper. Your risk is quick ammonia build-up and a 20g, better yet 29g would lessen this risk. As a dip , add one teaspoon of the liquid per gallon for 60-90 minutes with aeration added with air stone

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby reef works well as a dip and agree, I would not combine with copper. Your risk is quick ammonia build-up and a 20g, better yet 29g would lessen this risk. As a dip , add one teaspoon of the liquid per gallon for 60-90 minutes with aeration added with air stone
Thank you! I will dip and then return to QT. I am planning a full water change in QT during dip and will look into getting a larger tank this week. Should I run my qt tank with a lower dose of ruby or still keep copper and prazipro in it? How often would you recommend dipping for?

Seriously thank you everyone -

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I
Thank you! I will dip and then return to QT. I am planning a full water change in QT during dip and will look into getting a larger tank this week. Should I run my qt tank with a lower dose of ruby or still keep copper and prazipro in it? How often would you recommend dipping for?

Seriously thank you everyone -
f you’re referring to ruby bath- 60 minutes
If freshwater dip- 5 minutes
Run regular dose with ruby in quarantine tank

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

f you’re referring to ruby bath- 60 minutes
If freshwater dip- 5 minutes
Run regular dose with ruby in quarantine tank
Thanks!

I'll do a 60 minute ruby bath - drain my QT tank, do a normal dose of ruby and monitor ammonia.

Should I do follow up 60 minute ruby concentrated dips?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Onl
Thanks!

I'll do a 60 minute ruby bath - drain my QT tank, do a normal dose of ruby and monitor ammonia.

Should I do follow up 60 minute ruby concentrated dips?
Only if doing large water changes

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the weekend I set up a 29 gallon tank. All of the fish looked fine in my 10 gallon. Once the 29 was set up I removed all of my fish from the 10 gallon (which had residual ruby reef in it from the 3 days of 1oz pours, the regular dose). I gave them all an 80 minute bath in the ruby reef concentrate ... transfered them to the 29 gallon which was completely sterile and all new. 48 hours later my other clown and my two wrasses died. I redosed that tank with the standard ruby blend and my coral beauty, chromis, and diamond goby have been fine ever since.
@vetteguy53081 - should I just dose my current tank at the recomended dosage for three days like the bottle says and just monitor ammonia with water changes? Did I mess up by moving them into untreated water?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like fungus and pics under white light intensity will help with assessment
Did you cycle the 29g before stocking it?

OP
OP
D

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like fungus and pics under white light intensity will help with assessment
Did you cycle the 29g before stocking it?
Here a pictures, I moved a piece of liverock from my original tank into my 10 gallon quarantine and then into my 30 gallon. It was dipped with the fish as well, that was my attempt at speed cycling, I have been monitoring ammonia and no spikes.

Here are pics:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back