Clown fish has black spots, acting strange

mycograham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone thanks for any help you can give a new reefer I recently got my first clown fish and they have recently been jumping into the back of the nano tank at night and making splashing sounds. I noticed today that he has small black patches behind his two front fins. I used slow-mo function to take a picture so I apologize if it’s kind of grainy but it’s the best I can do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

B0A881AC-9B7D-492F-82CB-AA1D680990C3.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic. Is the spot raised up or flat with the rest of the fish's body

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help. Flat with the rest of its body and not raised.
What corals are in the tank? Alot of times black spots on a clown are a symptom of hypermelonization. Basically a coral sting from a coral the clown hasn't built up an immunity to yet.

OP
OP
mycograham

mycograham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are in the tank? Alot of times black spots on a clown are a symptom of hypermelonization. Basically a coral sting from a coral the clown hasn't built up an immunity to yet.
None so far! I have been cycling the tank with manufactured rock so it can’t be from stinging. Also I haven’t been using a light since it wasn’t recommended for the first several months of cycling the tank if that makes a difference.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the two spots behind his fins always there? If they're in the same spot on each side of the fish they may just be normal markings from the color morph

OP
OP
mycograham

mycograham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the two spots behind his fins always there? If they're in the same spot on each side of the fish they may just be normal markings from the color morph
I noticed the first one shortly after getting him and you might be correct that I just didn’t notice the other spot until I turned the light on to take the picture. He is a snowflake ocellaris clown so maybe I’m just freaked out for no reason haha His original spot has grown slightly over the last month so maybe it’s just part of his color morph as you say.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back