clown fish has not been observed eating in 6 weeks and now doesn't act well at all.

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried 2 different frozen foods, pellets, shrimp pieces and seaweed, but I have not seen this clown fish eat since I purchased it. Now mostly lying on the bottom where before he was swimming actively all over the tank. I have checked ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, ph and alk and all is within limits. Do not know what to do next. No sign of ich or any other disease that I recognize (but I've only been doing this for a few months) fins and color look fine. I have a second reef tank that is doing great. This particular tank with the clown has gone through a patch of the algea uglys. One of the shrimps is hanging around him like he expects him to croak any minute. Clown is a little over 2 inches in size. Tank is a red sea 20 cube and the protean skimmer works great. Only 2 engineer goby fish also in tank along with several snails, a sand sifting starfish (was out and about yesterday), conch, a fire and a cleaner shrimp and other misc snails.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post some pictures/videos (linked through YouTube) to help with diagnosis?
Does it ever show interest in food or completely ignore it? Maybe the food is too large for it?
Any aggression from other fish that could be intimidating it from eating?

OP
OP
G

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ignore food. Nothing harasses out at all (only 3 fish in tank). Don’t have YouTube. Goff is mostly small pieces of frozen, tiny pellets, small pieces of shrimp. Right now sitting just off bottom of tank wiggling away.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried 2 different frozen foods, pellets, shrimp pieces and seaweed, but I have not seen this clown fish eat since I purchased it. Now mostly lying on the bottom where before he was swimming actively all over the tank. I have checked ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, ph and alk and all is within limits. Do not know what to do next. No sign of ich or any other disease that I recognize (but I've only been doing this for a few months) fins and color look fine. I have a second reef tank that is doing great. This particular tank with the clown has gone through a patch of the algea uglys. One of the shrimps is hanging around him like he expects him to croak any minute. Clown is a little over 2 inches in size. Tank is a red sea 20 cube and the protean skimmer works great. Only 2 engineer goby fish also in tank along with several snails, a sand sifting starfish (was out and about yesterday), conch, a fire and a cleaner shrimp and other misc snails.

If the clown has truly not eaten in six weeks, it may have used up its liver as a food source, which ends up being fatal. Does it even acknowledge the presence of the food?

The engineer gobies are feeding fine?

I agree, a video of the clown is important for a proper diagnosis here.

OP
OP
G

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clown has truly not eaten in six weeks, it may have used up its liver as a food source, which ends up being fatal. Does it even acknowledge the presence of the food?

The engineer gobies are feeding fine?

I agree, a video of the clown is important for a proper diagnosis her

OP
OP
G

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully here is a video of the clown with link to facebook

OP
OP
G

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to answer the other question, the engineer gobys are very healthy ane have been obseved eating. Forgot to add ther are two LTA in the tank as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to answer the other question, the engineer gobys are very healthy ane have been obseved eating. Forgot to add ther are two LTA in the tank as well.

The video isn't super clear, but the clown's mouth seems damaged. You might need to consider euthanizing it given the length of time it has gone without food:

Back