Clown Fish in QT for Brook Changing color

BrotherBrown831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Clowns that I recently aquired from my LFS. I did not QT them as they were the first into my newly cycled DT. After 2-3 weeks i noticed ono had small white patches, clamped fins and was breathing heavy and showing some signs of rubbing. I did my best do research and determined it was most likely Brook. I pulled both fish from DT and put into a hospital tank where I treated with Rally and now have them doing a two week treatment with Metro. Within 24 hours of using Rally the breathing returned to normal, the white patches where gone and the fish seemed happy and healthy. They are eating well and looks like they will pull through. However this morning I noticed the most last white stripe on one of the clowns has started to darken significantly, turning from bright white to dark grey. No other symptoms or issues.
Water params for DT are:
1.26 Salinty
8.1PH +/- .2
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.1
phophate .02
Alk 9.1
Has anyone seen this type of reaction before from either Rally treatment or using Metro?
First pics are from initial signs of stress in the DT. Last pic is from today in the QT.
PXL_20240604_173003133 (1).jpg
PXL_20240604_172853888.jpg
PXL_20240604_172852180 (1).jpg
PXL_20240613_202354180.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Color changes can happen for many reasons, stress, illness, mating, time of day. I do not see why what you've done would have caused the grey area. Can you give any more information

OP
OP
B

BrotherBrown831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color changes can happen for many reasons, stress, illness, mating, time of day. I do not see why what you've done would have caused the grey area. Can you give any more information
It is totally possible its a benign change that has nothing to do with the Brooklynella or the treatement, that would be great news. I have not seen such a dramatic change in just a few days and I was just curious to see if this is an indication of a secondary issue that needs some form of intervention.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a pair of Clowns that I recently aquired from my LFS. I did not QT them as they were the first into my newly cycled DT. After 2-3 weeks i noticed ono had small white patches, clamped fins and was breathing heavy and showing some signs of rubbing. I did my best do research and determined it was most likely Brook. I pulled both fish from DT and put into a hospital tank where I treated with Rally and now have them doing a two week treatment with Metro. Within 24 hours of using Rally the breathing returned to normal, the white patches where gone and the fish seemed happy and healthy. They are eating well and looks like they will pull through. However this morning I noticed the most last white stripe on one of the clowns has started to darken significantly, turning from bright white to dark grey. No other symptoms or issues.
Water params for DT are:
1.26 Salinty
8.1PH +/- .2
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.1
phophate .02
Alk 9.1
Has anyone seen this type of reaction before from either Rally treatment or using Metro?
First pics are from initial signs of stress in the DT. Last pic is from today in the QT.
I see secondary bacterial infection often confused with ich. If you are referring to fading (colors), that is one sign of brook as mucus will give the fish that appearance. Additional signs are elevated breathing, loss of appetite, weird swimming pattern and lethargic behavior as examples.
If fish is eating and breathing normally, keep an eye on them, however you can as a preventative measure apply Ruby Rally Pro to the tank which is reef safe and will address the issues mentioned

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water params for DT are:
1.26 Salinty
8.1PH +/- .2
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.1
phophate .02
Alk 9.1

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Take a look at the pictures in this thread - does you clown look the same?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is totally possible its a benign change that has nothing to do with the Brooklynella or the treatement, that would be great news. I have not seen such a dramatic change in just a few days and I was just curious to see if this is an indication of a secondary issue that needs some form of intervention.
My guess is that they are just stressed from the treatment, which will cause some short term color changes with clowns. I'd just ride it out and see how they do and act. The final pictures of them look very good.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back