Clown fish laid eggs!!!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see clownfish fry frequently, but normally they get eaten.

Mandarns spawning.

You may be able to see the male bluestripe pipefish here pregnant. He is almost always pregnant and is pregnant now but the fry are so tiny I have never seen them. I think you need the Hubble Telescope to do that. :rolleyes:

All healthy paired fish spawn all the time. It's what they are supposed to do and not very special. If they don't spawn, that is a problem. :confused:

The Ruby red dragonette is also pregnant here

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some beautiful pipe fish! How big of a fuge do you have to support all those dragonetts?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a fuge. I developed that feeder they are eating from

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they were eating them? They lay eggs all the time and they "mouth" them constantly to maybe clean them or stick them better. I have no idea what they are doing. But in my tank anyway, the eggs stay there and hatch. But they do look like they are eating them.

I'm very surprised Paul B in your old tank with all the pods and such you have in there...that not one clownfish fry ever survived to maturity...I've often thought of throwing my pair of breeder clowns into a tank full of live rock,macroalgae and pods that has been established a long time by themselves,and see what happens.no rotifers etc...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are about 20 hungry other fish in my tank that I am sure have them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and TV snacks. I also have 3 pipefish, 3 anthius and a mandarin that will eat any tiny thing that moves.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen them try to lay eggs again since that one time they did. I thought about trying to raise the fry but looked way to hard and time consuming. I wonder what kinda clown fish I would get because they are not the same morphs.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back