Clown fish laid eggs!!!

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clown fish decided to lay eggs today. Then eat them. They didnt she that in finding Nemo. Lol

Why would they do this? Free meal? Or just dont get how the whole thing works?

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's a pair. I watched the female lay them then straight turn around and eat them with the Male. I mean they would die in the tank anyways, I dont have the means to raise them at all but just thought it was a bit morbid hah

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but would they do that if they knew something was wrong with them? (Hoping someone else here may have an answer to that) Is this the first time they spawned?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they were eating them? They lay eggs all the time and they "mouth" them constantly to maybe clean them or stick them better. I have no idea what they are doing. But in my tank anyway, the eggs stay there and hatch. But they do look like they are eating them.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they were eating them? They lay eggs all the time and they "mouth" them constantly to maybe clean them or stick them better. I have no idea what they are doing. But in my tank anyway, the eggs stay there and hatch. But they do look like they are eating them.

That’s a good point. I think part of that is to keep them aerated as well.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but would they do that if they knew something was wrong with them? (Hoping someone else here may have an answer to that) Is this the first time they spawned?
I've seen them hosting that rock at night before lights out completely under all blues but this is the first time I've physically seen them do it in the day.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll put it this way, I see her lay the orange eggs, turn around, peck at them, then they are gone. Looked this morning no eggs anywhere on the rock. Like i said i dont have the means to raise them anyways just dinner why they ate it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good for You I think my pair are laying eggs also but I can't see into their rock pile. Just every so so often the big female will not let any other fish near.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would notice them swimming against a specific rock a month before, cleaning and prepping it. Even practicing laying the eggs. I have a video of it but dont have a YouTube to post it on. But I'm glad I was there to atleast see how they do that.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very cool. Are those naked tomatos? I would like a clue if you’re raising them. I would. I breed whatever I can get to spawn. Blennies right now.
6ab16448dd9cf76e8d14c01416d5573f.jpg

Keep me in mind if you sell

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pdisner, they are 27 year old Fireclowns and they spawn every week or so. I don't raise them but I have raised clownfish, Bangai's and blue devils in the past.
My mandarins, pipefish, watchman gobies, and clown gobies also spawn but I don't raise them either. If I did. I would give you some. :D

Watchman gobi with her eggs.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting to get a mandarin, still have to get a fuge going first but wasn't sure what one to get. Need a fairly large one to keep my dotty back from bullying it constantly

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pdisner, they are 27 year old Fireclowns and they spawn every week or so. I don't raise them but I have raised clownfish, Bangai's and blue devils in the past.
My mandarins, pipefish, watchman gobies, and clown gobies also spawn but I don't raise them either. If I did. I would give you some. :D

Oh my goodness. You’re a lucky man. You don’t know what you’re wasting. A lot of money. Out of all my pair of this or that, it’s been my yellow clown gobies every week, but impossible to raise so far. I got them to 7 day then they just all died off. I’ve had mad success with the striped Blenny. It’s too bad you don’t live in AZ. NONE of my clowns are spawning. I need more unique stock. I’ve got a couple of strange pairs. If any one of those spawn it will be great. I just don’t know why at least one pair would spawn.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AND I JUST LOST MY YELLOW WATCHAMAN GOBY PAIR!!! My bio cube pump died and by moring they were dead. I’ll have to run an air pump for the future. I’m having some decent success but big probs like that as well. With all the seperate and central tanks, it gets hard to catch everything.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it the clawnfish larvae that im seeing hatching or is that something else?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back