Clown fish question.

TSM Aquatics

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all,

Question,

Will a female clownfish protect the male clown?

I have a 60g tall tank with 4 yellow tail damsels. I also have a 32g biocube with a pair of clowns. The female clown is much larger then my damsels, but the male is slightly smaller.

I am thinking of moving both clowns to the 60g tank, to make room for a spearing mantis in the biocube.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Do they have an anemone to host in? That seems to give them cover from other aggressive fish but it might be tough moving them into a tank where the damsels are established.
No it’s a fish only tank. They will be going from a reef to a fish only.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Do they have an anemone to host in? That seems to give them cover from other aggressive fish but it might be tough moving them into a tank where the damsels are established.
I've had multiple nems for a year and the clowns have never wanted anything to do with them.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all,

Question,

Will a female clownfish protect the male clown?

I have a 60g tall tank with 4 yellow tail damsels. I also have a 32g biocube with a pair of clowns. The female clown is much larger then my damsels, but the male is slightly smaller.

I am thinking of moving both clowns to the 60g tank, to make room for a spearing mantis in the biocube.
I have a single yellow tail and he's kind of a jerk to my clowns. It has never gotten to anything serious though. Lot of posturing and nothing else.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
I've had multiple nems for a year and the clowns have never wanted anything to do with them.
Mine right now are being hosted by the zoas… lol. But I really want another mantis, but I don’t want it to kill my clowns… so I am debating if I can move them.

OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a single yellow tail and he's kind of a jerk to my clowns. It has never gotten to anything serious though. Lot of posturing and nothing else.
You think 4 might be much. Also do you know if the female clown will protect the male, since they are mated?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
You think 4 might be much. Also do you know if the female clown will protect the male, since they are mated?
It all depends on your tank really. If the clowns have a place to call home away from the pressure of the damsels. If they're fighting for home territory there could be issues.

OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
It all depends on your tank really. If the clowns have a place to call home away from the pressure of the damsels. If they're fighting for home territory there could be issues.
Hum… it’s a 60g tall. And damsels have picked all 4 corners. Two up top left and right, two bottom left and right.

What’s the changes of the clown fish pushing the damsel out of its home since it’s bigger? The female clown is larger not the male. I care more about the clowns then the damsels.

OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
They are also the only fish in the biocube. They have never been with another fish. So I don’t know if they are aggressive or not… the larger one dose bite my hand when I put it in the tank lol… all I got tot go off of.

OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
You may have better luck if you rearrange the scape before you add the clowns to distract the damsels, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Time for a new tank!
Yea, that’s not happening lol. Scape is staying. New tank… lol mmmaaayyyybbbeee just not today.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache
BRS
TSM Aquatics

Have you ever grown your own live aquarium food?

• YES and it was a success (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 62 23.8%
  • YES but I couldn't sustain it long term

Votes: 38 14.6%
  • NO, I tried but couldn't

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • NO, I have never tried

Votes: 148 56.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.2%

BMF signature corals