Clown Fish Reproduction

wwidener

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have two regular orange clownfish and a Christmas wrasse in my 29g Biocube tank. I'm aware of the clownfish sex change process. I'm wondering if there is anything preventing one of my clowns from becoming the female and reproducing.I would like to provoke breeding. How can I do this? Also, what would their eggs look like? Thanks!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One should become female as she grows - you'll notice her becoming larger than the other, and more dominant.

Clownfish eggs look pretty much like what they did in the movie. (A plaque of tiny orange spheres, which, as they grow larger, become silvery with the eyes of the developing larvae.)

You may find that the Christmas wrasse outgrows the 29 . . .

~Bruce

P.S. - Welcome to Reef2Reef!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your clowns? My Black Ocellaris is nearly 2.5 years old and she still isn't to what I would consider breeding size. She's definitely the boss of my smaller male regular ocellaris and he's all the time keeping a spot clean under the frogspawn they host together.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot rush nature either. they should in due time. It took mine 4 years after they were paired to begin to lay. I didnt do anything special to them though. I have had my male for about 6 years and the female for 7

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot rush nature either. they should in due time. It took mine 4 years after they were paired to begin to lay. I didnt do anything special to them though. I have had my male for about 6 years and the female for 7
Nice to know, I wasn't really sure how old they needed to be in order for breeding to be possible. I actually hope they don't breed in my tank! If they do I'll have to invest in grow-out tanks and baby clownfish food and also have to deal with moody clownfish parents!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back