Clown Fish stuck in overflow

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to find my original post sometime in april I think but can't find it. So, I posted that one of my clowns was stuck in one of the overflows. Prob. chased by another clown--ended up with 3 as 1 died. So now it is Sept. and it is still there. I feed it. It survives. I'm nervous about removing a stand pipe to let it go down the drain as it is a good size fish. Also nervous about opening the ball valve joint to dump in bucket. Husband came up with idea of turning pumps off, and dumping some sand in there slowly to raise the "bed" and get rid of water, until I can net the fish. then would shop vac the sand out.

I can either use the fine sand i'm going to be taking out and tossing, or some of the new sand coming in next week which is a medium grade. It wouldn't cloud water with super find particles so thinking that is the way to go. Also have plain clay litter but not sure if that should be used.

anyway, think this will work to free the fish. As there are issues with the pair and him, I'm thinking of putting him in the QT tank and getting him a mate. Then seeing if t hey can go into the display after they bond. Might try to put 2 nems in there. Right now, the 1 pair host my giant blue leather

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to find my original post sometime in april I think but can't find it. So, I posted that one of my clowns was stuck in one of the overflows. Prob. chased by another clown--ended up with 3 as 1 died. So now it is Sept. and it is still there. I feed it. It survives. I'm nervous about removing a stand pipe to let it go down the drain as it is a good size fish. Also nervous about opening the ball valve joint to dump in bucket. Husband came up with idea of turning pumps off, and dumping some sand in there slowly to raise the "bed" and get rid of water, until I can net the fish. then would shop vac the sand out.

I can either use the fine sand i'm going to be taking out and tossing, or some of the new sand coming in next week which is a medium grade. It wouldn't cloud water with super find particles so thinking that is the way to go. Also have plain clay litter but not sure if that should be used.

anyway, think this will work to free the fish. As there are issues with the pair and him, I'm thinking of putting him in the QT tank and getting him a mate. Then seeing if t hey can go into the display after they bond. Might try to put 2 nems in there. Right now, the 1 pair host my giant blue leather
I like the large-particle sand idea. Whatever you do, do not use the litter.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree litter is a bad idea.
Yes your right he cant go back after being seperated and has no teritory.
Same goes with pairing him up with another and then adding the pair, I feel this is no good.
But I am no expert on this subject, but have read more unfortunate stories than success ones.

So how long has he been in the return chamber now?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you can try putting together only because you are rebuilding entire scape ,will be new too both ;)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree litter is a bad idea.
Yes your right he cant go back after being seperated and has no teritory.
Same goes with pairing him up with another and then adding the pair, I feel this is no good.
But I am no expert on this subject, but have read more unfortunate stories than success ones.

So how long has he been in the return chamber now?
He's been in there prob. since April if not longer. I thought he'd died as he disappeared. I was up on the ladder looking down into tank and saw a flash of orange! Started spot feeding him. and he is still surviving!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try putting together only because you are rebuilding entire scape ,will be new too both ;)
Plus if I get 2 nems, so there are 3 spots to host, or I could leave the pair in the QT tank. I don't treat when I get new fish. I observe. Clowns have thick slime coats so should be okay. I had one survive mv. The other thing I could do is toss them all in QT! The pair in the tank draw blood every time I stick my hand in to work... Mean little twerps

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something in regards to getting the fish out? Why don’t you just shut the ball valve and turn off the return pump? The over flow box will remain filled and you can just net him out. I must not be getting a clear picture of the problem!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow is 18" deep. I'm 5'. I cannot reach down that far even with a net and on a ladder. Plus, with 2 pvc pipe stands, there is no room for a net to be effective. The fish goes from one side to the other and hides around the pipes. Also, I have current marine orbit lights across the tank and I can not move them out of the way enough for good access. Not to mention that it is a black overflow and you cannot see to the bottom--it is all dark. My hope is if I raise the bottom up, then I can see him, block off one side and net him out

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a larger diameter hose, shut everything off then start the siphon. Aim carefully, try and suck him right up. Hopefully all will go well. I, not on purpose, sucked a clown into a 3/4” ID hose, had to cut him out, no worse for the wear. Just an option...

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bio balls for the win-although I would rectify problems and make set up more user friendly for servicing.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you make a trap out of a drink bottle. You cut the top off invert it into the bottom, put two small dots of glue to hold it together. That sticky gummy stuff that comes in packaging works great. Also you could poke some holes in it and tie the sections together. Attach a String to the open end so you can haul it out. Put his favorite food in the bottle, suggesting a frozen thawed food.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something in regards to getting the fish out? Why don’t you just shut the ball valve and turn off the return pump? The over flow box will remain filled and you can just net him out. I must not be getting a clear picture of the problem!
I’m with this also if you have a ball valve or can cap your drains from under. Then you can pull stand pipes out, and keep water in there.
I have had this happen on a 180 gal with corner over flows. I did the flush method. but if you don’t think the fish would fit, I’d just turn every thing off, close valve and plug what dose not have valve, pull dorso and net.

good luck.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a larger diameter hose, shut everything off then start the siphon. Aim carefully, try and suck him right up. Hopefully all will go well. I, not on purpose, sucked a clown into a 3/4” ID hose, had to cut him out, no worse for the wear. Just an option...
that seems worth a try. if you put a pump in the siphon bucket back to the tank you can even make it continuous. a python would be ideal i would think.. you could put a bit of filter sponge where the python narrows to the tube.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with the hose method, I would shut everything off, grab a bucket, the hose with large diameter, manual siphon (Old school, mouth) then aim. Mine was being a pain, biting me, so I tried to push him away and In he went. Swear he looked at me like, could you be that stupid...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT NEWS!!!

Clown is free!! and he is in great shape.
The sand worked great! I washed new medium sand, filled it about 2/3's full, slowly lol's. Got to the point where I could put in new and he'd jump around. was able to trap him against side, and use my hand so he didn't go back into the tank or floor, and got him out. He's in a 45 gal observation tank that will be his permenant home now. Will get a female and maybe a nem for that tank. And use it to observe new fish as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back