Clown fish was eaten by naz snail

fiship

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a $20 clown and noticed there was a few sections of the tank he liked hanging out at. The other day I couldn't find him and noticed to Nazarus snails in his hanging spot. I'm pretty sure they ate him. I want to buy another but how can I insure he doesn't get eaten.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a $20 clown and noticed there was a few sections of the tank he liked hanging out at. The other day I couldn't find him and noticed to Nazarus snails in his hanging spot. I'm pretty sure they ate him. I want to buy another but how can I insure he doesn't get eaten.
Those snails dont just eat or hunt fish… the clown probably died for another reason and your snails or crabs ate it then. Or it jumped out of the tank or is just hiding somewhere else?

OP
OP
F

fiship

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those snails dont just eat or hunt fish… the clown probably died for another reason and your snails or crabs ate it then. Or it jumped out of the tank or is just hiding somewhere else?
Initially I thought he jumped but there's not much cover around the tank so he would have to have jumped far. It's really my only guess that they are him. But I wasn't really getting healthy fish vibes from him, if that makes any sense.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely fish was sick/weak and they ate it after it died. That is their entire role. Very unlikely they hunted and took down a healthy clownfish.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails are essentially buzzards. If they ate your clown it was dead before it ate them. Even whelks rarely kill fish even if your nassarius snail was misidentified and is actually a whelk. An image of your nassarius snail would help. Likely though your clown was very weak and passed away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back