Clown Goby Survive on only copedpods?

  • Thread starter Thread starter andrewey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
2,767
Reaction score
6,210
Location
Arizona
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently purchased a wild-collected yellow clown goby, but while in quarantine, it never ended it's hunger strike. I tried and all the usual frozen foods and collecting live food from my refugium but after fourteen days, he was growing thin and had not eaten any of the prepared or live foods.

As a last ditch option, I placed him in one of my mature coral only tanks, which is currently saturated with copepods. He's been in there for a month now and is starting to fatten up. The tank is teeming with tens-to-hundreds of thousands of copepods, so I have no concerns that he would reduce their population in any meaningful way, but do I need to worry about his nutrition? He's still not eating any frozen/prepared foods, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any long term success with a clown goby eating in this way?
 
If he is eating, let him him eat. As far as nutrition, the copepods feed on algae and other small particulates in the tank. He is getting all the nutrition he needs. I'd focus on adding pods each month. You can also dose a little phyto each day to feed the pods if you want.
 
Sounds good. Thanks for the reassurance- it's what I was thinking.

I don't think I'll have to add any pods- the population is at it's carrying capacity and based on his size/metabolism, I don't think he'll make even a 1% difference in the current population.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new