Clown hosting anemone...beyond sweet

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this pair of mated clownfish have been in my tank for about a month now, and my rainbow bta has been with me for about 3 months. Yesterday, first the female then the male started rubbing on the anemone and trying to get inside. I have had clowns before, but this is the first time I get to see one hosting an anemone, let alone the pair of them. It is fascinating and so sweet to watch this. Anyone has experience with this sort of behavior? Please share

nemo.jpg nemo2.jpg nemo3.jpg

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working with clownfish for over 30 years now and still get just as exited when I see my clown in an anemone . When your BTA gets bigger, your clowns will luxuriate inside it. You can see it’s blissfully pleasurable for them.

My current tank has Darwin Clowns in a purple tip BTA, and I am building a 40B to accommodate an H. Magnifica for them.

Enjoy the special relationship and congratulations!

1ED4DE04-93B5-41E8-A915-B3A8EAEE8AFB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working with clownfish for over 30 years now and still get just as exited when I see my clown in an anenome . When your BTA gets bigger, your clowns will luxuriate inside it. You can see it’s blissfully pleasurable for them.

My current tank has Darwin Clowns in a purple tip BTA, and I am building a 40B to accommodate an H. Magnifica for them.

Enjoy the special relationship and congratulations!

1ED4DE04-93B5-41E8-A915-B3A8EAEE8AFB.jpeg
Thank you! She only seems to do that when the lights are out and the anemone relatively closed

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! She only seems to do that when the lights are out and the anemone relatively closed

Like other relationships it will evolve over time. If the BTA allows, they will eventually spend pretty much all daylight hours inside it.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww! This is definitely one of my favorite things to observe.

We have a pair in our Frag tank at work that just LOVE their nem. They give you a wee lil nip if you put your hand too close!

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a DARLING little Valentini you have! I had one named Panini who was the little love of my life.
Yes, thanks! He is sweet...I don't know what he eats though. I have been trying feeding him shrimp and pellets but he only seems to be eating things off the rocks. I am afraid he is competing with the mandarin for copepods, although from everything I have read he does not eat copepods. Maybe micro brittle stars?

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always worried about Panini eating enough, too. It always seems that their mouths are just so tiny.

I had some high grade flakes that he loved to eat from my fingers, but I also would hold in a piece of krill, mussel, etc. & let him pick at it for a few minutes— I also caught him swimming around with a red hermit leg in his mouth once LOL

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back