Clown making crater in sand

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every morning my clown has re dug this crater in the sand bed. It's a decent size one next to a rock structure. Any reasoning on why my clown is doing this?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it's a clown fish.

They do some dumb things.

F0291EF9-5F72-4E05-8EE1-6EBC6AA1C205.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, just a dumb clownfish.

My larger female clown has claimed an elegance as her home. If anyone knows anything about elegance corals, they are typically found in the sand, where they bury themselves deep enough so their polyp can lay out on the sandbed.

Regardless of this, my clown clears the sand from the base every day(I usually throw it back during feeding). The elegance wasn't so happy in the beggining, but has since gotten used to it, although it does not open anywhere near as large as it should be.

Clowns are just weird sometimes.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They weren't paired no. I had originally got a white flurry clown and had her for a little bit and she has gotten big and fat and so I got a small snowflake clown to hopefully get them to pair and at first it was battle of the dominant and now every morning when I turn tank lights on they are swimming right next to each other just waking up. And they don't always swim together during the day but they always seem to get back to eachother and make sure everything's good and they swim side by side for a little then the smaller one goes swimming on it's on for a little then they link back up and do it all over again. Idk if they are paired yet but seeing every morning they wake up right next to each other and there's no fun damage no fighting anymore

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They weren't paired no. I had originally got a white flurry clown and had her for a little bit and she has gotten big and fat and so I got a small snowflake clown to hopefully get them to pair and at first it was battle of the dominant and now every morning when I turn tank lights on they are swimming right next to each other just waking up. And they don't always swim together during the day but they always seem to get back to eachother and make sure everything's good and they swim side by side for a little then the smaller one goes swimming on it's on for a little then they link back up and do it all over again. Idk if they are paired yet but seeing every morning they wake up right next to each other and there's no fun damage no fighting anymore
No fighting is good, lol. Maybe the one digging the crater is making the bed, for some lovin

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of her crater and look she decided to pop into the picture like yep that's me I did that I claim that mess lol. I filled it back in some but she usually digs it back up every night. It's right in front of that rock structure. And you can see the tail of my firefish in the left side of the pic lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220531_065508.jpg
    IMG_20220531_065508.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there has been no more fighting what so ever. No fun damage to the new little snowflake clown. But that clown as been in there almost a month now so if it wasn't going to work out I'm sure it would of already happened. But both are healthy and are fat and eat like crazy and swim all over the tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back