Clown stays in top corner. Heavy breathing?

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

Another day, another problem.

Clown who usually eats and moves good, but he claimed this part of tank since begininng, doesn't move whole day from top right corner.

Here is the video:

Ammonia 0.
Nitrates 10.
PH 8.2
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79.

Lots of oxygen as you can see from the outflow pipe behind creating bubbles.

What can be a problem? What should I do?

Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can rule out water quality or oxygen issues.
Are there other fish in the tank, how do they look?
How long have you had this fish?
Jay

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can rule out water quality or oxygen issues.
Ate tjeteother fish in the tank, how do they look?
How long have you had this fish?
Jay

Jay, he is the only fish in the tank.

He is in the tank for about 2 weeks. Before him tank was cycled for 6 weeks.

I had a smaller clown too for only 24 hours in tank which was very sick (LFS sold me sick fish) I removed smaller fish in QT tank and treat it and she died 2nd day in QT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, he is the only fish in the tank.

He is in the tank for about 2 weeks. Before him tank was cycled for 6 weeks.

I had a smaller clown too for only 24 hours in tank which was very sick (LFS sold me sick fish) I removed smaller fish in QT tank and treat it and she died 2nd day in QT.
If the two clowns were housed together at any time, this one may well have the same disease as the first one.
What did you treat the other be with?
With this one breathing fast and hovering at the surface I’d lean towards it being velvet. Copper in a QT can treat that is begun soon enough.

Jay

I’m going offline while traveling back from Florida and may not be able to respond until tomorrow night, so I’m calling in #fishmedic

Jay

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the two clowns were housed together at any time, this one may well have the same disease as the first one.
What did you treat the other be with?
With this one breathing fast and hovering at the surface I’d lean towards it being velvet. Copper in a QT can treat that is begun soon enough.

Jay

I’m going offline while traveling back from Florida and may not be able to respond until tomorrow night, so I’m calling in #fishmedic

Jay

Jay. First one was small, weak and skinny to begin with. She was covered with white spots over the face and slime over body.
I have treated her with Fritz Fix Ick but she didn't survive.

The fish from the video doesn't have anything unusual on body. She is gasping for air on top from time to time. She is not eating brine shrimp (her favorite) but she will eat some tiny pieaces of flakes.

Thank you for your anwers and have fun in Florida!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Jay. First one was small, weak and skinny to begin with. She was covered with white spots over the face and slime over body.
I have treated her with Fritz Fix Ick but she didn't survive.

The fish from the video doesn't have anything unusual on body. She is gasping for air on top from time to time. She is not eating brine shrimp (her favorite) but she will eat some tiny pieaces of flakes.

Thank you for your anwers and have fun in Florida!
Sounds like it had brooklynella and fix-ich as you discovered would not have done a thing- Formalin based med or ruby Rally Pro. I dont see anything that suggests this is the case.
The bubblers are many- called micro-bubbles and should be reduced a little but not the issue.
Eating flakes is a good sign and I commend you on a clear video as its not often things are clearly seen.
You may have had a sick clown and this one is wondering its mate is. . . but do keep an eye on it. You can try mysis shrimp or with the brine, try again but step back in case its nervous and see if eats it then.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it had brooklynella and fix-ich as you discovered would not have done a thing- Formalin based med or ruby Rally Pro. I dont see anything that suggests this is the case.
The bubblers are many- called micro-bubbles and should be reduced a little but not the issue.
Eating flakes is a good sign and I commend you on a clear video as its not often things are clearly seen.
You may have had a sick clown and this one is wondering its mate is. . . but do keep an eye on it. You can try mysis shrimp or with the brine, try again but step back in case its nervous and see if eats it then.

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the video, one of the moments when he is not at top. Every 10 minutes he will swim around and come back to gasp some air.

And here is the video how he spents most of the time.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

Here is the video, one of the moments when he is not at top. Every 10 minutes he will swim around and come back to gasp some air.

And here is the video how he spents most of the time.

Wow. . . Dont know what compelled you to post additional videos but glad you did- Video #2 clearly shows brooklynella and may explain/confirm loss of other clown.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. . . Dont know what compelled you to post additional videos but glad you did- Video #2 clearly shows brooklynella and may explain/confirm loss of other clown.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

Thank you.

I will give him a FW dip now. How long should he stay in FW?

After that I will put him in QT tank with water from display tank.

There are no more fish in that tank beside him.

I don't have a medicine now beside Fritz Fix Ick , can I use that one?

Thank you for helping me!

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw there is no mocus, slime or white spots on his body. Maybe video shows some that look a like but in person I can not see any at all. Skin looks very healthy.

His breahting is very heavy and his is opening his mouth even more.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you.

I will give him a FW dip now. How long should he stay in FW?

After that I will put him in QT tank with water from display tank.

There are no more fish in that tank beside him.

I don't have a medicine now beside Fritz Fix Ick , can I use that one?

Thank you for helping me!
Neither of those meds will work and FW dip Up to 5 mins. Assure container is clean and water same temp as display tank. Ruby rally Pro will be easiest to find
When the fish turned, looks like buildup on the face and am I correct. . . a few dots along its back?

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of those meds will work and FW dip Up to 5 mins. Assure container is clean and water same temp as display tank. Ruby rally Pro will be easiest to find
When the fish turned, looks like buildup on the face and am I correct. . . a few dots along its back?

No dots, no slime. That was mini air bubbles from the pump.

I just fed him with flakes, he eat all and he was very active chasing them along the tank.

After he finished he went back to the corner to gasp the air.

Im preparing him now FW dip.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello,

Today fish is heavily breathing and its on sand, not looking good.

Im about to give her FW dip.

About that quick cure, what is the exact name of the product? I see there is a many of them.

Thank you.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Brook, then formalin (formaldehyde) is what you would need.

For velvet, you need copper. Coppersafe or Copper Power is best. Other products that claim to treat ich don't really work

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Brook, then formalin (formaldehyde) is what you would need.

For velvet, you need copper. Coppersafe or Copper Power is best. Other products that claim to treat ich don't really work
What is the name of product that contains formalin (I can not find it).

Is API general cure also helpful?

After I remove all my fish from display tank, how long does parasite lives in tank without fish?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name of product that contains formalin (I can not find it).

Is API general cure also helpful?

After I remove all my fish from display tank, how long does parasite lives in tank without fish?
Formalin is the name. Different chemical companies make it.

General Cure is prazi + metro. It's a dewormer in saltwater fish.

Fallow for Brook? I'll have to look it up. 6 weeks, I think. Velvet is about the same.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is the name. Different chemical companies make it.

General Cure is prazi + metro. It's a dewormer in saltwater fish.

Fallow for Brook? I'll have to look it up. 6 weeks, I think. Velvet is about the same.
Thank you.

I have no idea where to buy formalin.

Also, I can not be sure what disaese fish has at first place.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid that access to formalin is not that easy. Im not a chemical lab and it's not something you can find in general trade.

Also it is a cancerogen to humans.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

Today fish is heavily breathing and its on sand, not looking good.

Im about to give her FW dip.

About that quick cure, what is the exact name of the product? I see there is a many of them.

Thank you.
Its quick cure by API but hard to find why I suggested ruby Rally pro. Formalin also not the easiest and has to be precisely diluted. Ruby will work but you have to start treatment soon as fish is going to day 2 with course of action.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its quick cure by API but hard to find why I suggested ruby Rally pro. Formalin also not the easiest and has to be precisely diluted. Ruby will work but you have to start treatment soon as fish is going to day 2 with course of action.

Do I give tretmant in QT tank or can I do in dispat tank too because he is the only fish there?

I have several corals and crabs too.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back