Clown swims to top of the tank poking his head above water and darting back and forth repeatedly when I open the lid of my 32g biocube.

nuddbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about a month old with two clown fish and a cleaner shrimp. One is a larger maroon, and the other a small Percula. They have always got along fine but oddly enough the small percula is far more active. Recently when opening the tank the percula swims to the top almost as if it wants to jump at me for invading his territory. At first I thought they were hungry but he didn't even care about the food until I put the lid back down and repeats everytime i lift it. Immediately after walking away he goes back to normal... is this normal? I also just read that maroon are aggressive and there might be a problem down the line which is annoying because my reef shop said they would be fine.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost certain that the maroon will kill your percula eventually, maybe someone who has had success mixing maroons with other clowns will prove me wrong with their reply.

On the swimming to surface issue, two questions. Is your fish breathing rapidly? If so you may have a lack of dissolved oxygen, which could be remedied by increasing your surface agitation for gas exchange.

OP
OP
N

nuddbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost certain that the maroon will kill your percula eventually, maybe someone who has had success mixing maroons with other clowns will prove me wrong with their reply.

On the swimming to surface issue, two questions. Is your fish breathing rapidly? If so you may have a lack of dissolved oxygen, which could be remedied by increasing your surface agitation for gas exchange.
Thank you, doesn't seem to be. Seems otherwise fine unless I open the lid and hover above it. If I move my face away he goes back to normal

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds normal to me, clowns can be territorial. I had a pair of maroons before and the female would bite me constantly when putting my hand in. I was always told pairing maroons is a hit or miss

OP
OP
N

nuddbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds normal to me, clowns can be territorial. I had a pair of maroons before and the female would bite me constantly when putting my hand in. I was always told pairing maroons is a hit or miss
Okay thank you. Yeah he is pretty hyperactive and silly so maybe it's okay

OP
OP
N

nuddbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about a month old with two clown fish and a cleaner shrimp. One is a larger maroon, and the other a small Percula. They have always got along fine but oddly enough the small percula is far more active. Recently when opening the tank the percula swims to the top almost as if it wants to jump at me for invading his territory. At first I thought they were hungry but he didn't even care about the food until I put the lid back down and repeats everytime i lift it. Immediately after walking away he goes back to normal... is this normal? I also just read that maroon are aggressive and there might be a problem down the line which is annoying because my reef shop said they would be fine.
Edit.- I completely forgot but it is a mocha, not a maroon. I'll have to do some digging to see if that's still an issue.

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are both juvenile Percula clowns and one is just a different color morph they should be fine. Though it is noted that Clowns don't like other clowns of different color patterns so keep an eye on them as they mature.

My last note is I would not take purchase advice from your reef shop unless you know the individual personally. It's their job to sell you stuff, not give you good advice.

OP
OP
N

nuddbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are both juvenile Percula clowns and one is just a different color morph they should be fine. Though it is noted that Clowns don't like other clowns of different color patterns so keep an eye on them as they mature.

My last note is I would not take purchase advice from your reef shop unless you know the individual personally. It's their job to sell you stuff, not give you good advice.
Thank you for the advice

OP
OP
N

nuddbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. He wanted more than food. He wanted me but didn't realize there wasn't water outside of the tank. I opened the lid and within seconds he darted at me and jumped out of the tank and hit the floor. Seems okay. Hope it humbles him and he's okay. Crazy little thing.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say the tank is a month old, is that a month after your cycle was finished, or you are using the clowns to cycle your tank?

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess he is just expecting you to feed him. If you often hand feed, he may have Pavlov reaction.

OP
OP
N

nuddbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say the tank is a month old, is that a month after your cycle was finished, or you are using the clowns to cycle your tank?
Dosed with ammonia, used live sand and rock from reef shop. Levels cleared after two weeks then got clowns from same reef shop. Total time one month as of today.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Band-Aids out, have someone on Stand By to call 911, and stick your hand in the tank. LOL.

OP
OP
N

nuddbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess he is just expecting you to feed him. If you often hand feed, he may have Pavlov reaction.
I do often have the entire lid open when I feed but when I sprinkled some in he kept jumping/darting in the water. Only ate the food after I put the lid back down so that's why I thought I could rule it out. Maybe they are just crazy

reefbro1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do often have the entire lid open when I feed but when I sprinkled some in he kept jumping/darting in the water. Only ate the food after I put the lid back down so that's why I thought I could rule it out. Maybe they are just crazy
Your tank is going to spike in unhealthy levels this week . If it were me I would take both clowns out and put them in a totally cycled tank for two more weeks and put a damsel in your tank the same day I took the clowns out . Put them all back in 2 weeks , watch how the damsel reacts with the clowns and perhaps remove the damsel then . Good luck !!!

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed with ammonia, used live sand and rock from reef shop. Levels cleared after two weeks then got clowns from same reef shop. Total time one month as of today.
Just a thought but they might be looking for a way out from ammonia or nitrite spikes. I know fish will suicide jump in those cases.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is going to spike in unhealthy levels this week . If it were me I would take both clowns out and put them in a totally cycled tank for two more weeks and put a damsel in your tank the same day I took the clowns out . Put them all back in 2 weeks , watch how the damsel reacts with the clowns and perhaps remove the damsel then . Good luck !!!
This started out like a fortune cookie. Live rock live sand cycle complete no worries.

Clowns are dumb. I had one that would attack me anytime I put my hand in the tank anywhere (120g). She followed my hand out of the tank 3 or 4 times.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought but they might be looking for a way out from ammonia or nitrite spikes. I know fish will suicide jump in those cases.
Unfounded.
Tank is cycled and why do you think otherwise?
Did I miss something?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back