Clown swims to top of the tank poking his head above water and darting back and forth repeatedly when I open the lid of my 32g biocube.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am 100% sure he looking for food, clowns are PIGS, both of my clowns swim straight to the top of the tank ANYTIME i walk by. "MINE MINE MINE MINE"
I always think of the seagulls from Finding Nemo when I’m feeding the fish. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is about a month old with two clown fish and a cleaner shrimp. One is a larger maroon, and the other a small Percula. They have always got along fine but oddly enough the small percula is far more active. Recently when opening the tank the percula swims to the top almost as if it wants to jump at me for invading his territory. At first I thought they were hungry but he didn't even care about the food until I put the lid back down and repeats everytime i lift it. Immediately after walking away he goes back to normal... is this normal? I also just read that maroon are aggressive and there might be a problem down the line which is annoying because my reef shop said they would be fine.
This seems like normal territorial clown behavior to me. One of my MochaVincis practically launches herself out of the tank trying to bite me, especially when they have a clutch of eggs. I would seriously rethink mixing the two clowns you have though. If the other one is really a maroon, they get very big and very mean. I’m sorry that your LFS misled you and honestly, I would speak with them about it if I were you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back