Is my clown goby going to be ok?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We were doing science.
By "backed up with science", I meant that euthanasia methods should be chosen based on having been proven, as well as such a thing is possible, to be humane. Science about, specifically, the humane treatment and euthanasia of fish. Not any random science that happens to involve fish.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By "backed up with science", I meant that euthanasia methods should be chosen based on having been proven, as well as such a thing is possible, to be humane. Science about, specifically, the humane treatment and euthanasia of fish. Not any random science that happens to involve fish.
I think as long as you are quick about it, then it is humane. When i was kid, my neighbor used to farm meat rabbits...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think as long as you are quick about it, then it is humane. When i was kid, my neighbor used to farm meat rabbits...
Instant destruction of the brain is humane, yes. Freezing isn't quick. You either have to destroy the brain all in one go, or use a chemical method that causes unconsciousness with minimal to no discomfort. Clove oil, done properly, is the latter, and is generally both less upsetting and easier to do for someone who's squeamish and/or attached to the animal in question when compared to something like pithing.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown gobies are one of those fish that are listed as easy and they are once they acclimate, but they're horrible shippers. They often come in not eating or with disease. This would be my guess as to why yours didn't thrive. Sorry for your loss

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back