Hectors Goby Questions

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this poor little guy from a Petco last week.

They had him crammed in with a bunch of Tomato Clowns and he was being torn to shreds. He had already been in there about a week or so and I figured he wasn't going to last much longer so I snatched him up.

Luckily he is thriving in my tank, eating well, and already noticable growth coming back on his tail.

Do they sleep IN the sand?

I have gravely substrate and while he can hunt and peck at it he can't dig in it. He has taken to sleeping in a thin nook between a rock and the gravel almost like he is trying to bury himself at night.

Lastly mine goes to bed as soon as the blues come on and the whites go out. Like right into his little nook to sleep. My other Goby and Blenny stay awake and forging all the way till total blackout.

Is this normal behavior or does the dark just traumatize him and he hears clown noises? Lol

Thanks for any input.

Here's the poor little guy from when I first got him. Like I said his fin has already started to grow back:

PXL_20240118_011811710.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine sleeps under rocks as well, without going into the sand. He did briefly use his tail to fan out sand and slightly enlarge a sand nook, before the pistol shrimp filled it in.

I don't think they bury in the sand, I think they just like hiding places low to the substrate.

Nice find! These little guys are great.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping your post!
Here is a great thread that got a lot more feedback then mine on the same topic. Lots of good info on this species.

Also mine is now thriving and his fin is over halfway healed already. Love the little guy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back