Clown symptoms

SmolGoby

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2024
Messages
45
Reaction score
49
Location
Knoxville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve noticed some alarming behavior & something really strange with one of my clowns. Please help!

Here’s the behavior: the clown is bobbing up & down at the top corner of the tank, he’s staying completely vertical as shown in the picture. Before this, yesterday he was swimming rapidly in circles at the very top of the tank, all day long. He’s been swimming at a 45 degree angle as well.

Here’s the really strange thing: He did a tail whip & debris rolled off of his body & into the water column. Enough debris to fill the entire tank.

There aren’t any signs of disease on his body or fins, no spots, rots or etc.

I’m thinking swim bladder disease?

Water sample included, any help appreciated!

IMG_5598.jpeg IMG_3292.jpeg
 
I agree, my first thought is that he is holding so tight to the corner because of aggression from someone.
 
I agree, my first thought is that he is holding so tight to the corner because of aggression from someone.
He has another clown that he has been paired with for many years, but no other tank inhabitants besides snails & coral
 
It’s possible the other clown is turning on him. When being harassed, fish will tend to hang out in the corner.
You were correct! I sat & watched them for a few hours & his paired mate was definitely attacking him. I separated them & put him in another tank.
 
You can try removing the aggressive clown and reintroducing later. Sometimes that is enough to fix a bond.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new