Clown Trigger Behavior

Finzin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a clown trigger for the past 4yrs which lives alone in a 180 gal aquarium.With optimal water conditions. I purchased it at about 1/2-3/4 inch and it is now 5.5 inches long. I know there is variation in the speed of growth amongst individuals. Is this a little slow? Compared to other Triggers I have this guy gets distended with food with less food than the Blueline and Queen I have. His abdomen gets flatter by the next day and his waste is not white or stringy. If he gets more than 4 TDO “large pellets” in the Am he temporarily looks heavy in the water and may hide behind a rock. His Pm food is LRS 2 small bits. Otherwise he is very interactive inquisitive searching for food and almost jumps out of the water when being fed. When I first got got him he was in His own 75 Gallon for months and was prophylacticly treated with General Cure in his food for 10-14 days.Is this within the range of normal behavior for a Clown Trigger. Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown trigger is surrounded by myth and exaggerations. Clown triggers do grow slowly and rarely even reach 10" in captivity. I've raised a few baby clown triggers, have raised them for others and kept them myself for more than 10 years. I've seen clown triggers living in aquariums as large as 10k gallons for more than a decade reaching around 10". In the early days a clown trigger was one of the most aggressive fish you could get, so that's where their rep started. And if you get a large mature adult from collection, you will get a beast. If you raise a baby, they usually turn out to be a good tank mate, and even after 10 years, may reach 10". On the other hand,vthe blueline and queen do grow very fast, and their aggression rivals very few, even early on staritng at 5-6". No trigger grows more slowly than the rhinethacus(spelling) triggers

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back