Clownfish again tat power head

Lucafish101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clownfish that is aggressively swimming against the current of the power head. I’m not sure if he has some parasites or if he is doing it for fun the temp in my tank is 77 degrees and my salinity is 1.023 I’m wondering if it’s because I just added him.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the fish put through a QT process?

Here is info on QT process. Sounds like you may need to consider putting the clown through protocol.

OP
OP
L

Lucafish101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not but it’s the only fish in the tank with some inverts and corals

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do this all the time just for fun, they’ve been doing it since the beginning when I got them in February. I did not QT. Mine have chosen the powerhead as a host (even though there is a stunning RBTA two inches away...) clownfish are clowns and act accordingly! Probably just playing

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do this all the time just for fun, they’ve been doing it since the beginning when I got them in February. I did not QT. Mine have chosen the powerhead as a host (even though there is a stunning RBTA two inches away...) clownfish are clowns and act accordingly! Probably just playing
Bta are not all clowns natural anemone. That may be why they dont host.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bta are not all clowns natural anemone. That may be why they dont host.
I guess maybe not. Such a shame though, they would look so nice in it.
8176A080-B5CE-4F27-8CF8-00569216C1AE.jpeg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming into flow is a sign of certain parasites, but without other symptoms or signs, or other fish in the tank it can be hard to pinpoint. Especially as some have said, clowns just like to do that for fun.

OP
OP
L

Lucafish101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! I will update the thread as time goes by, do you think I should buy an anemone to make the clownfish more comfortable?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that... no dice. The kind of anemones clowns host in the wild can be hard to take care of as they are very sensitive to water perams. Sometimes getting another clown that was hosting a nem at the lfs then getting an anemone shows the original clown to go into it too but they usually have to pair for that behavior to occur. I’ve seen clowns host nems, frogspawn, torches, zoas, elegance, anything. Mine host my powerhead/ chalice even though I have a bubble tip. If he wasn’t hosting at the lfs then there’s not a very good chance he’ll host in your tank without a little bit of teaching :(.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back