Clownfish Aggressive only when lights on

Mac01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I need advice how to get my clownfish get accustom to lights.

I’ve had my 2 clownfishes - 1 bigger - for 3 months. I had only relied on natural lights (and regular home ceiling lights) and I just installed AI prime 16. The 2 clownfishes are swimming fine under natural lights (side by side), but when I turn on the AI Prime even at 15% intensity and low blue light (5%), the bigger clown attacks the smaller one immediately like it doesn’t recognize the smaller one. Once I turn it off, the bigger clownfish stops. I’ve tested on and off and it is clear it is the AI Prime, an immediate trigger. Ramping the light has not worked (even at 1 or 3hr ramp time had no effect).

Can anyone please advise on how to handle the situation of turning on the LED and have the bigger clownfish start chasing the smaller one.

Thanks

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been seeing a few of these threads recently - what happens if you put the light on it's whitest possible setting?
For anyone curious, clownfish determine social hierarchy/desirability in large part by coloration (I'd heard it said by breeders trying to cross clownfish morphs that "clowns are racist" and it turns out it's actually kind of true).

My guess (I don't know for sure if it's accurate, but it seems plausible to me) is that the change in lighting drastically alters how the male clown looks to the female - if it makes it look substantially less desirable, then the female may be trying to drive it off in hopes of finding a more attractive partner; if it makes it look substantially more desirable, it may be causing the female to try and assert dominance through aggression rather than coloration.
Fun fact for anyone interested here, the UV reflectance of clownfish is also related to intraspecific aggression and their social hierarchy.***
***Source:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is strange! She is probably showing dominance. Maybe start with an acclimation period? Like 1% white, then add 1% blue the next day and slowly ramp up and see if it helps her attitude towards him?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back