clownfish behavior

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gina_234
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gina_234

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2026
Messages
19
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased two frostbite clownfish about 3 days ago, the female jumped out, and the male hasn't stopped glass surfing all day and all night, I got him a new clownfish, he's fine in the daytime and showing signs of pairing but at night he's pacing and trying to jump out, is it just stress from the move a few days ago?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1075.mov
    11.6 MB
I recently purchased two frostbite clownfish about 3 days ago, the female jumped out, and the male hasn't stopped glass surfing all day and all night, I got him a new clownfish, he's fine in the daytime and showing signs of pairing but at night he's pacing and trying to jump out, is it just stress from the move a few days ago?
While it can be stress, can also be intimidation. Use at least saran wrap or screen to prevent jumping and also assure water current not too strong
 
While it can be stress, can also be intimidation. Use at least saran wrap or screen to prevent jumping and also assure water current not too strong
I have an egg crate on there and the wavemaker is only 60 GPH. Will the glass surfing stop as he gets more use to the tank?
 
I recently purchased two frostbite clownfish about 3 days ago, the female jumped out, and the male hasn't stopped glass surfing all day and all night, I got him a new clownfish, he's fine in the daytime and showing signs of pairing but at night he's pacing and trying to jump out, is it just stress from the move a few days ago?

Just a side note - I didn't see any aeration, the water's surface looks pretty still. It's a small tank, so I don't think you have a protein skimmer - if not, the tank would really benefit from the addition of an air stone.
 
Just a side note - I didn't see any aeration, the water's surface looks pretty still. It's a small tank, so I don't think you have a protein skimmer - if not, the tank would really benefit from the addition of an air stone.
I have a small water pump that acts as a wave maker, but would an airstone help more?
 
I have a small water pump that acts as a wave maker, but would an airstone help more?

Yes - you need to break the surface tension with bubbles at some point, to drive off excess carbon dioxide.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new