Clownfish bloated and not active

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've noticed today that my female clownfish is not looking so good.
She is usually in her anemone all day, but today I've noticed possible heavy breathing + bloated belly (I didn't feed since yesterday) + Looks like she's not interested in food and she looks like she want the anemone to eat her.
What do you guys think?

All other fish inverts clams are ok, not showing any signs of stress, including her partner clownfish.
Salinity is 1.026
PH: 8.18-8.32
Temp 78
Nitrate 23.2 (From last Wednesday)
Phosphate 0.24 (From last Wednesday)
Tank is 2 years old, so I didn't check for nitrite or ammonia recently.

Recent changes and good to knows:
  • Added a lot of new corals during the last 2 weeks.
  • Removed an aggressive damsel from the tank couple of days ago.
  • Tank has cyano
  • Lowered nitrates and phosphates during the last 2 weeks.

Video:

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bravo on a lengthy video for observation. Its a little dark with blue lighting (white lighting is best) and clown within anemone. There is nothing noticeable such as brook or stinging but elevated breathing rate.
As for bloating- the clown can be egg bound or constipated. - - - What foods are you feeding it?
With cyano present as indicated- would not be bad to see what the ammonia and nitrate level is as nitrate is one of the components for cyano along with high phosphate for cyano bacteria.
With constipation if it is, often it can be from fish being fed pellet foods exclusively or even beginning of what is known as edema where the fish has a hard time maintaining its bodily fluids with the current tank water related to kidney or liver failure. with rapid breathing , it may involve the fish's entire body. Often feeding brine shrimp IF it starts eating may help any stuck foods pass as prolapse may be developing.

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen food everyday, I also recently started feeding pellet food, but the fancy ones that need to be stored in the fridge.
She looks better now, breathing is normal and doesn't look like it's waiting for the anemone to eat her, but still looks like she just ate a big meal.
Will put an ammonia alert badge and update.
What Nitrite test is recommended? Something I can hopefully can get in Pet Smart / Amazon?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back