Clownfish blood shot left eye

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello y’all went to petco today just to look around and saw a black storm look gorgeous however his left eye was blood shot. I am worried for the guy and want to setup a QT tank for him especially since tanks are going on sale. He is also only $65
Thoughts if it could be blood shot or just a coloring, it is only the left eye.
Also I can’t add to my dt because he is with a tang who has bad ick.

E898F3DB-43FB-4EAB-94B2-CE6A6080E4B4.jpeg 83ABB6FC-DB9A-4DB9-BAD7-E65469B121AC.jpeg 36E84C4E-CF39-4414-95A1-62040D4F5902.jpeg

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t be buying a clownfish from petco/box chain stores like that because it’s supporting their incredibly bad animal husbandry and so many other things. Petco, petsmart, pet land etc have killed hundreds of thousands of animals since they’ve first opened, from fish to reptiles to dogs and cats. This clown could have a million and one things wrong with it. Buying this one means they’ll order 2 more, in probably worse condition, and the cycle continues. But thats just me.

But on the eye you will need some better pics for any kind of illness identification unfortunately

strawberryfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t be buying a clownfish from petco/box chain stores like that because it’s supporting their incredibly bad animal husbandry and so many other things. Petco, petsmart, pet land etc have killed hundreds of thousands of animals since they’ve first opened, from fish to reptiles to dogs and cats. This clown could have a million and one things wrong with it. Buying this one means they’ll order 2 more, in probably worse condition, and the cycle continues. But thats just me.

But on the eye you will need some better pics for any kind of illness identification unfortunately
Whilst I would typically agree with you, There are exceptions to this rule and many chain pet stores, depending on the staff do seem to care greatly for their fish department. And I only worry that alienating the most accessible means of entering this hobby would keep many from ever taking part. And IMO the more people in the hobby the more there are to advocate for the care of these animals. Just a thought, I could certainly be wrong but it may hurt the hobby as a whole if all chain pet stores stopped selling fish.
As far as clownfish go you are typically best off ordering from ORA or the Biota Group as captive bred are always better for the fish and the environment as they are bred by the millions unlike many other species of marine fish.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whilst I would typically agree with you, There are exceptions to this rule and many chain pet stores, depending on the staff do seem to care greatly for their fish department. And I only worry that alienating the most accessible means of entering this hobby would keep many from ever taking part. And IMO the more people in the hobby the more there are to advocate for the care of these animals. Just a thought, I could certainly be wrong but it may hurt the hobby as a whole if all chain pet stores stopped selling fish.
As far as clownfish go you are typically best off ordering from ORA or the Biota Group as captive bred are always better for the fish and the environment as they are bred by the millions unlike many other species of marine fish.
Again, just my opinion. I understand not everyone has a good LFS near them nor the means to do online orders, but I just like to throw my 2 cents where i can, wanted or not. I can’t stop anyone from doing anything lol, and Im not in their shoes so cant judge either. Just might find a healthier, longer lived specimen elsewhere if thats a possibility

strawberryfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, just my opinion. I understand not everyone has a good LFS near them nor the means to do online orders, but I just like to throw my 2 cents where i can, wanted or not. I can’t stop anyone from doing anything lol, and Im not in their shoes so cant judge either. Just might find a healthier, longer lived specimen elsewhere if thats a possibility
I actually believe we are mostly in agreement, as I was merely pontificating on the state of the hobby. Hopefully I didn't confuse the point too much.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back