Clownfish breathing heavy overnight

thisnthat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I almost finished with my cycle and my ammonia is at .25 (I am using the api saltwater test kit so it might not be accurate) Nitrite is at .5-.8 ish salinity is at 1.025 Ph is 7.9 and tempature has stayed the same at 77.2 F. My problem is: this morning I woke up to both of my clownfish breathing hard. Yesterday I noticed one clownfish was having some labored breathing so I did a water change and dosed the tank with prazipro for any internal or external parasites. This morning it has gotten worse and now both clowns are breathing heavy and I don’t know why. I know prazipro takes about a week for the full effect but if this isn’t a parasitical problem I need to find out what it is now. My wavemaker was off over night from me unplugging it and not realizing enough to plug it back in, and I think also my filter was off as well. So in total there was no water agitation. This could be the problem but it also could be ammonia poisoning. My ammonia reached zero a couple weeks into the cycle and crept back up for some reason. I added live rock and more nitrifying bacteria after the recent water changes and hoped that would make a difference. If anyone could help by saying what might be the problem I would appreciate it. I hate seeing my clownfish like this.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aim your wavemaker at the surface of the water.

OP
OP
T

thisnthat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I almost finished with my cycle and my ammonia is at .25 (I am using the api saltwater test kit so it might not be accurate) Nitrite is at .5-.8 ish salinity is at 1.025 Ph is 7.9 and tempature has stayed the same at 77.2 F. My problem is: this morning I woke up to both of my clownfish breathing hard. Yesterday I noticed one clownfish was having some labored breathing so I did a water change and dosed the tank with prazipro for any internal or external parasites. This morning it has gotten worse and now both clowns are breathing heavy and I don’t know why. I know prazipro takes about a week for the full effect but if this isn’t a parasitical problem I need to find out what it is now. My wavemaker was off over night from me unplugging it and not realizing enough to plug it back in, and I think also my filter was off as well. So in total there was no water agitation. This could be the problem but it also could be ammonia poisoning. My ammonia reached zero a couple weeks into the cycle and crept back up for some reason. I added live rock and more nitrifying bacteria after the recent water changes and hoped that would make a difference. If anyone could help by saying what might be the problem I would appreciate it. I hate seeing my clownfish like this.
Also my fish ate this morning, not a lot, and are hanging out where they usually do at the bottom corner of the tank. If this was not enough oxygen in the tank wouldn’t they hang out at the surface?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back