Flasher Wrasse heavy breathing

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from work today to find both of my Flasher Wrasses laying on their sides, discolored and breathing very heavy. I'm 3 days out from my 3rd prazi dose. Any idea what this could be?

Attachments

• 20240311_160528.mp4
    10.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water appears hazy. What is ammonia level and how are you monitoring it?
how is breathing and feeding behavior of other fish in the tank?
How are you dosing prazi (length of time, strength and did you add aeration?)
You want to dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
Yeah I didn't know any of that for dosing prazi. I just did what the dosage says on the bottle. No skimmer on my QT tank, lots of aeration from my sponge filter. Maybe go pick up a 2nd filter?

Running an ammonia test now. Using Red Sea

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test just finished. 0 ammonia

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah I didn't know any of that for dosing prazi. I just did what the dosage says on the bottle. No skimmer on my QT tank, lots of aeration from my sponge filter. Maybe go pick up a 2nd filter?

Running an ammonia test now. Using Red Sea
Bottle very confusing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from work today to find both of my Flasher Wrasses laying on their sides, discolored and breathing very heavy. I'm 3 days out from my 3rd prazi dose. Any idea what this could be?
I agree the water looks hazy.

Are you dosing praziquantel powder or Prazipro? I get reports of people having issues with wrasse and prazi. I’ve never seen any issues myself, but I don’t want to discount these reports out of hand. Many of the cases I’ve heard about seemed to be related to lack of aeration, but you said it was good in your case.

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the water looks hazy.

Are you dosing praziquantel powder or Prazipro? I get reports of people having issues with wrasse and prazi. I’ve never seen any issues myself, but I don’t want to discount these reports out of hand. Many of the cases I’ve heard about seemed to be related to lack of aeration, but you said it was good in your case.
I'm dosing prazipro. I have all 11 of my fish in QT so I assumed aeration is not the issue since the other 10 are acting normal. But I'm going to pick up an air stone just in case I was wrong.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back