OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some random mucus and the fish is "coughing", that is also a sign of mucus. The wrasse is breathing a bit fast as well, but given its situation, that would be expected.

You will only see one species of flukes in the FW dip (Neobenedenia) the others all require a microscope to see them, and even then they are tough to see.

I don't see copper as helping here, the fish is moribund (actively dying) - I just don't think there is anything that will work to bring it back around....sorry!

Jay
If I were to do a leopard again I would not do prazi. All my fish in my dt have been through your recommemded protocol. How could I do a leopard wrasse in qt without prazi and without ruining all the qurantine protocol I've done with my dt fish? I didnt notice any issue with copper sensitivity. Is ttm or hyposalinity effective against whatever organisms prazi works against? Thanks so much for your help. Alternatively I'll just get a melanrus.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to do a leopard again I would not do prazi. All my fish in my dt have been through your recommemded protocol. How could I do a leopard wrasse in qt without prazi and without ruining all the qurantine protocol I've done with my dt fish? I didnt notice any issue with copper sensitivity. Is ttm or hyposalinity effective against whatever organisms prazi works against? Thanks so much for your help. Alternatively I'll just get a melanrus.
TTM doesn’t work for flukes. Hyposalinity does, but this genus of wrasse is not really a good candidate for full hypo. You could run it at 1.012 instead of 1.009, that works for flukes, but then, it is too high to work for ich at the same time.
In the end, it isn’t the prazi that is the issue, it is the high initial mortality rate that is seen in this genus of wrasse that is the problem.
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM doesn’t work for flukes. Hyposalinity does, but this genus of wrasse is not really a good candidate for full hypo. You could run it at 1.012 instead of 1.009, that works for flukes, but then, it is too high to work for cheat the same time.
In the end, it isn’t the prazi that is the issue, it is the high initial mortality rate that is seen in this genus of wrasse that is the problem.
Jay
Oh I see : / ok thank you so much!!!

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., then - I'm not sure what's going on with the fish. In some cases, if a fish has a severe fluke infestation, the first dose of prazi causes all the flukes to drop off at once. The flukes had been acting like little "corks" and when they drop off, the fish literally bleeds out and can die. However, that issue is NOT seen in the second, or subsequent doses. I think the prazi is coincidental to some other, unknown issue with the wrasse. I wish I could tell you what that issue is, but I'm just not sure, other than it could be the general delicate nature of this species.

Jay
I’m thinking poor collection/holding

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back