Clownfish Breeding Idea

majesticbigmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, this will be my first attempt at raising clownfish. I have an idea, I would like to hear everyone's opinion.

So, I have a 75ltr tank, with 2 clowns and a crab. There is rock but no sand or any coral. I have commonly moved the clownfish to a different tank due to a variety of problems, but all is stable atm.

Here is my plan, please feel free to attest towards this:

On the day of hatch, complete 80% water change, relocate clowns and crab to another tank (I cannot put the fry in this tank as there is coral and fish, and cannot setup another tank due to space). I understand a large quantity of Rotifers+FHBB is needed, which I have prepared. I fill the tank to 40%, turn off pump and add air pump+heater and blackout all sides.
Will this be sufficient for the larvae? It all seems to work out to me, except the stress towards the clowns, however they have gotten use to relocation, so all should be good.
Please feel free to pick any holes in my plan and any advice you may have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Having 3 breeding pairs, change no water in fact go not disturb tank and let the parents do their thing
If you disturb environment, parents may eat the eggs

Muddaubere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, this will be my first attempt at raising clownfish. I have an idea, I would like to hear everyone's opinion.

So, I have a 75ltr tank, with 2 clowns and a crab. There is rock but no sand or any coral. I have commonly moved the clownfish to a different tank due to a variety of problems, but all is stable atm.

Here is my plan, please feel free to attest towards this:

On the day of hatch, complete 80% water change, relocate clowns and crab to another tank (I cannot put the fry in this tank as there is coral and fish, and cannot setup another tank due to space). I understand a large quantity of Rotifers+FHBB is needed, which I have prepared. I fill the tank to 40%, turn off pump and add air pump+heater and blackout all sides.
Will this be sufficient for the larvae? It all seems to work out to me, except the stress towards the clowns, however they have gotten use to relocation, so all should be good.
Please feel free to pick any holes in my plan and any advice you may have.
I would not to an 80% water change right after the eggs hatch. It could shock the fry and they would die. Too much of a change is dangerous for delicate fry. I would make sure the water change is done regularly before the eggs hatch. That way when they do hatch, you don't have to do a water change for a day or so. I would not even worry about getting the water down to 40%. There is no need. More water means less drastic changes in water quality. Start doing a 20% change on day 2.

I think it's ok to take the parents out of the tank, I'm really not sure how they will handle that. I try to replace whatever the idem is they laid their eggs on so they think they hatched and swam away. They freak out when something is happening to their eggs they don't expect, so look that up a little. My concern would be the live rock. You need to green the water a bit, add rotifers, I'm not sure how the rock will handle that. Maybe it's fine. and it helps keep the water more stable. Let me know how it turns out.

Bph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You need to use the same water there parents are in, other wise you are changing their environment which would not be a good thing you are trying to keep everything the same.

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a larval trap successfully. After catching them, move the fry to a 5 gal tank that contains water from the parent's tank (with heater and air stone). After metamorphosis, you can transfer them to a 10 gal tank. A 5 gal tank will allow you keep the rotifer concentration high enough to allow the fry to stay fed. Without a high rotifer density, the fry will starve. I used this technique successfully for parents in up to 55 gal tanks for ocellaris, clarkii, and maroon clowns.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back