Clownfish Breeding Journal

jetboy07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently 18 and work at my local pet store that carries a very wide variety of 120+ tanks of different freshwater fish, but no saltwater. I have really grown to enjoy clownfish as they are my favorite fish. I just received a pair of Picasso clowns that are very mature and paired for sure as they have been together for 3 years. I have them in a 12g bio cube that was my old tank before I set up my 20 gallon reef tank that is still currently running. I have a flower pot in the center which they swim in occasionally and it looks as if the female is cleaning the inside of the pot a little which seems like a good thing. Long story short, do you guys think is profitable to bread my Picasso clowns and try and make a profit on it by selling them to the owner of my work. The store is a local store and not a chain and I have a good connection with the owner and the store as I have worked there ever since I set up my first reef tank cause I needed to fund the hobby. I take my fish care very seriously and really enjoy the hobby, also should I keep you guys updated with pics and post?

OP
OP
jetboy07

jetboy07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to know I have a couple people following along, I'll keep you guys updated. Currently about to do a 25% water change. My female Picasso seems to be swimming in the pot a good bit and I notice her nipping the inside of the pot, is she potentially getting ready to spawn? We will see. I keep my temp. around 80 and my salinity around 1.024. Currently only feeding once a day because I'm trying not to overfeed and cause an ammonia spike. I also have ran into the problem of my return pump went out, so as of now I'm using an extra powerhead for some flow and a air stone. I will drop below some pictures of them currently.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

OP
OP
jetboy07

jetboy07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3: The return pump is back in action and I’m confused on why it stopped working for a couple hours? Who knows, probably gonna invest in a new pump for them in the future.

Feeding: Still feeding once a day until the tank establishes more
Foods: I feed all of my clowns a variety of Omega One Flakes, Omega One Pellete, Cobalt Brine Shrimp Flakes, Hikari Frozen Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Formula One Frozen, Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Frozen

I also throw in 5ML of Algea Barn OceanMagik Live Phytoplankton, idk how beneficial this is, any input from anyone??

Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 80 degrees
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.5 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
PH: 8.0

Recap: Female doesn’t sleep in the pot but when the lights come on she swims in the pot, occasionally with the male. At night the female sleeps in the front right corner, while the male sleeps in the pot. More info. To come in the future!

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will see them nipping the pot to clean an area to lay eggs before they spawn. You should notice the female getting fat if she is developing eggs. You will need more tanks for growing the baby clownfish.

Back