Clownfish breeding setup

Daytonsalt83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with pics videos or links of their setup and system for breeding n raising clownfish. I know they don’t need huge tanks but just curious of what people use and transfer to for the next stages etc

JVan82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon tank from petsmart only running a bubble bar for oxygen and flow, and a heater... my picasso clowns hatched Sunday night/ Monday morning... side are all taped you with black bubble wrap still

OP
OP
Daytonsalt83

Daytonsalt83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going to set up five ten gallon tanks for breeders and three twenty gallon tanks for grow out and have them all run off of one sump is there any down side to doing this? I’m going to use five gallon tanks for fry

Reefpop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon tank from petsmart only running a bubble bar for oxygen and flow, and a heater... my picasso clowns hatched Sunday night/ Monday morning... side are all taped you with black bubble wrap still

I wanna do this does the tank stay cycled where does beneficial bacteria stay?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone, please put something into this thread. It would be fun to see the different setups. It would also be great to read about your knowledge on this subject as well.

JVan82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna do this does the tank stay cycled where does beneficial bacteria stay?
No I run 0 filtration, a few days before they hatch I take 4 gallons from parent tank and add to hatch tank. Do 1 gallon water changes daily... when mine lay again I'll post pics.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my new setup. I currently have 2 pairs of nice Picasso's and 1 pair of your normal oscellaris.
Im sure it will be a while before I see any eggs though.
My Picasso's are about 6 months old but my oscellaris are over 2 years so they are ready. They have never even attempted to breed yet.

TDS ZERO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going to set up five ten gallon tanks for breeders and three twenty gallon tanks for grow out and have them all run off of one sump is there any down side to doing this? I’m going to use five gallon tanks for fry
Maybe or maybe not
Personally I would advise against growout and broodstock tanks being connected . They should be separate sumps IMO and not share the same water Incase a fish gets sick.

Personally I use 10/20g for fry - won’t have to transfer as quickly

TDS ZERO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my new setup. I currently have 2 pairs of nice Picasso's and 1 pair of your normal oscellaris.
Im sure it will be a while before I see any eggs though.
My Picasso's are about 6 months old but my oscellaris are over 2 years so they are ready. They have never even attempted to breed yet.

Absolutely great looking setup ^_^

TDS ZERO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to take out water soon as the lights turn on so the clownfish are still sleeping and not moving around much

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back