Clownfish breeding setup

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I had about 10 or so 10 gallon tanks with a 30+ gallon sump all tethered into one another. Could I just keep the heaters in the sump?

the reason I am asking is because I want to do a cheap DIY. I was thinking of building a wooden box and using pond liner for the sides then get a glass window for my tanks on all but my fry tank. (Obviously I wouldn’t have that tank in the all in one system because of the plankton and rotifers)
I figure they do this with ponds all the time and why shouldn’t it work on a smaller level?
Obviously it could be dirt cheap if I can find a place to get the glass. The major cost would then be the wood to build the box and shelving. But then we can paint it to the colors we want and all that jazz.

what do you all think? Worth it? Too much work? Save money or no?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I mean, this is how your typical LFS will handle their displays for fish (not necessarily 10-gallon tanks, but it's the same idea). You may find it's easier (and cheaper) to get custom glass tanks made to the specs you need, ie: overflows, pre-drilled returns and that kind of thing. In addition to the heaters you'll want to plan for good filtration, a protein skimmer, etc.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I mean, this is how your typical LFS will handle their displays for fish (not necessarily 10-gallon tanks, but it's the same idea). You may find it's easier (and cheaper) to get custom glass tanks made to the specs you need, ie: overflows, pre-drilled returns and that kind of thing. In addition to the heaters you'll want to plan for good filtration, a protein skimmer, etc.
So, I was looking into this and I cannot find glass companies that make tanks here in arizona. I tried calling a couple glass companies and they said they only sell wholesale to building companies and didn’t know of anyone who would be willing to sell for my needs.(this was back when I was looking for an 8-10 ft tank)
Since then I have moved on because there just isnt a market for what I was looking for… my main problem is one company out of California said they would do it but it was like $40 per gallon(the tank I wanted to build was 400+ gallons and there is no way I could afford that!)

discount aquarium suggested buying one of their large tanks and subdividing it. But I still think I can get this set up a bit cheaper and am just wondering about problems other see with it. I want to solve them all before I jump on any of the building processes.
How I see it is I have 3 options to me. One is mentioned above.
2 is I buy the large tank from discount aquarium and subdivide and build a stand (which will cost a little more than the first one on this post)
3 is wait for petco or petsmart to have a dollar per gallon sell and got for 10 10 gallon tanks and grab a sump and plumb it all together.

I’m just trying to see what would be 1 cheapest with the least amount of problems. And 2 fastest without having to wait forever!

Back