Clownfish breeding temps

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jblaine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jblaine

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2020
Messages
205
Reaction score
84
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some pairs of clownfish that have started laying eggs. My water temp is 77° F. If I increase the water temp to 82° to quicken the egg development time, would this make my clowns stop spawning? Currently it’s taking 14-18 days to hatch
Thanks
Jon
 
"Not tonight honey, it's too hot out."

Another related question, does water temperature speed up egg production in the female ovary?

i do know that warmer water is going to hold less oxygen and the pair might run out of breath trying to do the deed? I would also expect faster growth of egg pathogens with temperature increases.

I'm all out of guesses, and I didn't even get to the tired old "Nothing good happens fast in reef tanks."

It will be interesting to see if any Clownfish breeders chime in on this one.

excited bird GIF
:thinking-face:
 
I have some pairs of clownfish that have started laying eggs. My water temp is 77° F. If I increase the water temp to 82° to quicken the egg development time, would this make my clowns stop spawning? Currently it’s taking 14-18 days to hatch
Thanks
Jon
Did you try raising the temp and find out?

I would guess they wouldn't mind the increased temp, but I know clowns can be finicky sometimes.
 
Did you try raising the temp and find out?

I would guess they wouldn't mind the increased temp, but I know clowns can be finicky sometimes.
I haven’t Increased the temperature yet but I might try and see what happens down the road at some point. At the moment, the clowns are still laying eggs so I have not started messing with anything.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new