Clownfish colors changed

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Have a question on clownfish colors changing. Did a search on here and found a lot of threads on fading but not changing.

Bought these guys about a year ago as juveniles. I think they're percs. At that time they were very bright orange nose to tail.

Over time they gradually changed to black. They are now black almost everywhere except faces and some orange on each fin.

Is this typical? They're under a jbj pro led hood, and get a varied diet (mysis, cyclopeze, some flake, some pellet, some chopped shrimp)

They're doing great -- fat and happy and get along. Just curious -- these are the first clowns I have kept.
IMG_20191103_111437.jpg
IMG_20191103_111614.jpg IMG_20191103_111433.jpg

AquaLocker

AquaLocker.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think they are ocellaris because perculas have more orange eyes and ocellaris have darker eyes like the ones in the photos. They could be Darwin Clowns that start light and turn mostly dark with the exception of the mouth.

Here is an article on the differences between ocellaris and perculas that is pretty cool. https://www.ocellarisclownfish.com/difference-between-ocellaris-and-percula-clownfish/
Thanks for the read. Very interesting it was very eye opening.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back