Clownfish Courtship Behavior

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these Gladiator DaVinci Clownfish pair for a little over a year from Sustainable Aquatics. They've don't normal mating behavior but this is the first time I've seen this. It was rather fascinating to see this behavior in person and thought id share it with you g
uys.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish have a strict hierarchy using sequential hermaphroditism within a harem (with a spectrum of sexes). This behavior is common. The female or intersexed individual will occasionally assert her position to the male, and likely the male towards the unsexed.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like bickering for position. Is one larger than the other? They look similar in size? I know you have had them a year, so they should have decided hierarchy before now. How large are they?
That is not mating to anything I have seen from my many types of clowns.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as DenisAndy said, if this is constant and has happened for a while, they could both be female. If you don't see one "wiggle" back then that may be the case

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back