Clownfish died overnight. Need help on why?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish daily with Hikari Pallets S. At most about 10 pallets. Had the fish only for 4 days. And 3 of these days I fed pallets. Sunday they've had Mysis shrimps.

That's not bad.
Make sure you don't overfeed.

My advice is to check your parameters again and no matter what they say, do a water change or two.
Wait an hour or so and test again.

What are you doing for filtration? Biological, chemical and mechanical?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have nitrite, you are not cycled.
You should have nitrAte.
Nitrite is deadly to fish.

Check your parameters again. If you have nitrite, you will have dead fish.

Nitrite is not deadly in saltwater. Only freshwater. Nitrite is not the problem here.

OP
OP
Aj050

Aj050

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not bad.
Make sure you don't overfeed.

My advice is to check your parameters again and no matter what they say, do a water change or two.
Wait an hour or so and test again.

What are you doing for filtration? Biological, chemical and mechanical?
I've planned a water change tommorow. I've been changing 10% every week for the last 6 weeks.
My filtration is:
Red Sea skimmer 300.
Red Sea carbon(which is in for 6 weeks)
2 maxspect bio blocks in the sump
And manual waterchanges
I've added Arka Aquatics nite out from the start every day and weekly Arka Aquatics special blend.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've planned a water change tommorow. I've been changing 10% every week for the last 6 weeks.
My filtration is:
Red Sea skimmer 300.
Red Sea carbon(which is in for 6 weeks)
2 maxspect bio blocks in the sump
And manual waterchanges
I've added Arka Aquatics nite out from the start every day and weekly Arka Aquatics special blend.

Doing good.

Sometimes fish die for no reason we can see.
Get in line anything that is out of line and things should improve.

Good luck.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bruh. I posted it on the first page. Cell posted it again. Nitrite is not toxic in saltwater because chloride blocks the channels which cause nitrite uptake into the bloodstream. Lack of salt in freshwater is why it’s toxic there. Even in large amounts, there were no mortality events in testing. It had to be present in HUGE amounts to uptake via the intestinal tract instead of the usual gill pathway.

Here is another scholarly article showing that the median LD50 over a 48 hour period for nitrite in larval Pacific Cod was in the hundreds of ppm. In more developed fish, I’d say it’s safe to extrapolate that it would take a massive amount for a sustained period of time to cause harm. OP’s level of nitrite is, as I said, inconsequential.

Last edited:

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. Nitrite for clownfish is lethal in the 300 ppm range. But the death gives doubts. But, and correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't this also affect the other clownfish? I just fed the other one and it's thriving and his colors are more vibrant then the one who died.

It’s possible it had an underlying issue that was triggered by the stress of transport and introduction into a new environment. Sometimes, there just isn’t a good answer without breaking out a microscope and doing a necropsy.

I’d be more concerned about internal parasites or other disease vectors which may now be infecting your tank as a whole. Quarantining is always highly recommended in the saltwater hobby. I’d say more so then in freshwater. I got away with not QTing for over a decade when I kept freshwater with minimal consequences. I didn’t last three months in saltwater without an outbreak due to lack of quarantine procedures. Never again.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, young fish maybe didn't handle the move so well. Its happened to me. Also any bullying from the other clown at all? Mine started fighting a lot when they were younger until the female reigned Supreme. Mostly just shoving and maybe a nip here and there.

Source: Sometimes clowns be like that.
Source 2: Sometimes the teeny ones don't handle the stress well.

Last edited:

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back