Clownfish dumped my anenome?

LayT27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiny maroon clownfish (maybe .75inch-1inch) and I bought him several months ago with his anemone (they were paired up). He has been in my system for a few months now and was with his anemone the entire time. Yesterday during a water change, I noticed the anemone was relocating and the clownfish was not with him. Its been a few days and even after guiding the clownfish to where the anemone is, they have not paired back up. Is this normal behavior? should I look to add a new anemone? I do have coral so I am hesitant to add more anemones.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiny maroon clownfish (maybe .75inch-1inch) and I bought him several months ago with his anemone (they were paired up). He has been in my system for a few months now and was with his anemone the entire time. Yesterday during a water change, I noticed the anemone was relocating and the clownfish was not with him. Its been a few days and even after guiding the clownfish to where the anemone is, they have not paired back up. Is this normal behavior? should I look to add a new anemone? I do have coral so I am hesitant to add more anemones.
Clownfish do not need an anemone, at least not in our aquaria. So you don't need to add a new anemone. You can if you want, but you don't have to. If you really want an answer to your 'should I look to add a new anemone?' question, I will say no, you should not. Better keep your corals safe.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the clownfish a mate.

OP
OP
L

LayT27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish do not need an anemone, at least not in our aquaria. So you don't need to add a new anemone. You can if you want, but you don't have to. If you really want an answer to your 'should I look to add a new anemone?' question, I will say no, you should not. Better keep your corals safe.
Yea its just my yellowtail damsels are ***** and he is pretty small. The anemone kept him safe, so its why i was curious. However, I do love seeing him more now.lol

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
problem is, I dont know if its a male or female lol
At that size? Probably ambisexual, or male. Either way, does not matter. Get another clownfish of a similar size, and one will eventually become female. Or I guess you can try to get a female from the start, and the current one will probably remain male.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea its just my yellowtail damsels are ***** and he is pretty small. The anemone kept him safe, so its why i was curious. However, I do love seeing him more now.lol
I see. Are they bullying the clownfish now?

The thing is, just because another anemone is introduced does not mean the clownfish would go to it, that is what I am worried about.

OP
OP
L

LayT27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size? Probably ambisexual, or male. Either way, does not matter. Get another clownfish of a similar size, and one will eventually become female. Or I guess you can try to get a female from the start, and the current one will probably remain male.
does it need to be a maroon or can it be a variant like a lightning maroon?

OP
OP
L

LayT27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Are they bullying the clownfish now?

The thing is, just because another anemone is introduced does not mean the clownfish would go to it, that is what I am worried about.
yea the bigger damsel chases him pretty often, especially around feeding time.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it need to be a maroon or can it be a variant like a lightning maroon?
It can be a lightning maroon. From what I could gather, it could probably be any other clownfish lol, but probably would be much harder if they are of different species. The same species work easier. But yeah, all maroon clownfish are the same species, a lightning maroon is just a different color morph, so it should definitely be as fine as any other maroon clownfish.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea the bigger damsel chases him pretty often, especially around feeding time.
That's no good. D:

Hm... what size are the bullies? What I would do is grab a clownfish that is pretty big already, but not too big. Like maybe 2 inches. And hope it would assert dominance over, but take care of your smaller clownfish, fighting off the bullies if necessary. But that is just my personal idea based on well, nothing much really. Just some still very basal understanding of clownfish behaviour, which turns out to be much harder to research than originally thought.

Last edited:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do nothing when it comes to the anemone and clownfish, if you force the clown back into the nem it will be harmful.
If you want to get another clownfish make sure you are getting the right species and always get a smaller clownfish than the one you currently have.

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Females are bigger than males, my female is the one to chase away my bullies which are two 3 stripe damsels. JamesM is correct but if your can"t find one smaller you can try a large one which may not attack the smaller one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back