Clownfish Egg Daily Photos

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
6,032
Reaction score
1,165
Location
Winchester, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just over 2 weeks ago, I noticed my clowns had laid a clutch of eggs. this may or may not have been their first, I dont know. But it seemed to perfectly Co-inside with my son's school science project so we observed them every day for the next batch and sure enough, on the morning of the 23rd, we noticed their latest clutch. Each Day I would take a photo or two of them to document the changes for his project. On that note, when I searched the internet for something like this, I NEVER found it. Only "when our eggs are silver or grey, they will hatch.." I know that hatch time is dependent on the type of clowns and the water temperature as well, but HOPEFULLY this pictorial will lay it out for anyone who is looking for it.

It took our eggs 10 Full days (plus the day prior when laid) to Hatch at the 78.5° temperature of our tank. There were over 450 of them in this batch.

Thease are Australian/Darwin's Black Ocellaris (Amphiprion ocellaris) fish. The Female is of Unknown origin and age (came with my tank 4 years ago) and the Male is from Sustainable Aquatics and they were paired 3 years ago. They paired INSTANTLY and have resided in the back left corner of my 180 ever since.

Day 1 - First full day after they were Laid. Date: 3/23/2014
Day1.jpg

Day 2 Male shown tending eggs
Day2WithDad.jpg

Day2.jpg

Day 3
Day3.jpg

Day 4
Day4.jpg

day 5
Day5.jpg

Day 6
Day6.jpg

Day 7
Day7.jpg

Day 8
Day8.jpg

Day 9
Day9.jpg

Day 10
Day10.jpg

Day 11. Morning after Hatch. there were a few stragglers.
Day11.jpg
 
Last edited:
That's cool any update on this? Are you going to try raising them next time?
 
HA! That's cool!
 
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
 
HOnestly folks, none survived. the egs made it to hatch each and every time but since I am not setup for rearing them, they just went to feed the corals or whatever eats them. To update this thread even further, I downsized into a 66 gallon tank and got my fish a Pot to lay in. we just recently had our first clutch in the new digs and it was a large one. very tight and uniform. I fully expect them to get back into a rhythm and once we establish that, I will begin to create a grow out system for the babies and give it a shot to raise them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new